Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGP HFR and Seeing Analysis

04Stefan07

Really clear and great last night and a great opportunity to test out my re-attached EAF. I wanted to share my HFR results and get some feedback on them. I captured a bunch of LRGB shots (see equipment below).

I am in suburban skies (class 5 on the Bortle scale). I feel the HFR does fluctuate a bit. Not sure if the values I get is good for my location?

I have attached my LRGB images with temps, HFR and focus position.

Any feedback or advice on what I can check to improve results will be appreciated! Or even just to start a discussion to help others out.

Clear Skies,
Stefan.

TNBLUE.PNG

TNGREEN.PNG

TNLUM.PNG

TNRED.PNG

For this sort of analysis you really should include two more pieces of information:

- guide log

- wind speed measurement

and check for any sort of correlation in the data.

Sometimes what we interpret as worsening in the seeing - could actually come from rough patch in gearing mechanism or maybe just wind gusts.

Alternatively, if you want to do seeing analysis, better approach would be to try very short exposures and part of the sky filled with bright stars - like open cluster. Then you have bunch of stars that have their own random motion but you can still "extract" common motion - which is likely to be just tracking issues (mechanics and wind). If you average short exposures over longer period of time - you should get the same thing as long exposure.

Very informative information. I hope I have the logs recorded for the guiding.

I’ll check tonight when I get home and post it. From memory I think it was a pretty still night with no or very little wind gusts but I will check if I can get some historical data online.