sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Picking the right Barlow/reducer to couple telescope to camera for Nyquist sampling

Hello,

I recently purchased my first telescope and camera, and now I want to make sure I have the correct Barlow or reducer to couple them together to achieve Nyquist sampling on the camera (or slight over-sampling). In case it’s important, I’m interested in planetary imaging—in theory that shouldn’t matter for this sampling question, but maybe there are other considerations to take into account.

I used this calculator (https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability) and plugged in my info:

Telescope: Celestron 8 SE

Camera: ZWO ASI462MC

Seeing: experimented with this one, but would like to get optics that allow for poor or very poor

Binning: prefer 1x1 to preserve spatial resolution, but could consider higher if SNR is a problem

I’ve seen on several forum posts that people often use a 2x Barlow to couple the two. However, according to this calculator, that will always lead to over-sampling. If anything, it says I should use no intermediate optics or even a reducer.

So my questions are:

Binning: Will I be able to see anything with 1x1 binning, or should I expect to need to bin to collect enough light?

Is there some other consideration that’s more important here than achieving correct sampling? It seems like most others are over-sampling, and perhaps there’s a good reason for this. If so, is there another formula that would let me determine the appropriate optics to buy?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Rchurt
Typo

Hi and welcome to SGL!

If it were my choice I'd probably go for a 1.5x barlow, and failing that no barlow at all.  But don't get too hung up on perfect sampling...  It wont be the biggest factor affecting your planetary images, not by a long shot. 

Scope collimation, cooling and above all else, seeing, is what will affect your images the most.  Oh and if you don't have one, a motorised focuser is highly recommended. 1x1 binning will be fine, the planets are very bright!

Edited by CraigT82

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By thepainpastor
      Greetings All!
      Very Short Explanation: I'm disabled (43) and desperately trying to find ways to still bond/spend time with my youngest son (13).

My son expressed an interest, about two months ago, in Astronomy after watching a few YouTube videos on the subject (specifically, the moon and our neighboring planets). He asked if one day we could get a telescope. I was somewhat surprised when, over the course of the following days/weeks, he didn't forget about his request or shift his attention to other, "more 13 year old pressing matters." In fact, he became increasingly MORE excited, despite our lack of progress on the subject (except for many hours of questions and research regarding all things space).
      So, I decided that somehow, someway, I would discover the means in which to make this dream of his a reality.  However, due to our financial situation, I wasn't sure it would ever happen. Well, lo and behold, I stumbled across a Vivitar 76700 Reflecting Telescope, while killing time before a drs appt, at the local Goodwill, for only $14.99. I immediately withdrew my "Emergency $20" from my wallet, and I purchased it! 
      When I finally arrived home, I began the process of putting it together. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that it lacked everything which is placed in the "lens hole/slot" on the top, back of the telescope (just a hole, no lens, barrel, or anything originally included to fill said hole.
      !!!EDIT/CORRECTION!!!: It DOES have the piece which screws onto the side of the telescope that has "adjustor knobs" below it for, I'm assuming, extending/retracting the lens(?). There is just nothing INSIDE this piece except a hole/space. Sorry! 
      This is our youngest son (13), who is a "loner." He is very quiet/shy/lacks self-confidence, and suffers from mental/learning disabilities, but truly is "sharp as a tack" in many, many ways. So, when we discover something, anything, educationally speaking, that peaks his interest, we try our hardest to encourage him! 
      Now, I don't really have any/much money to spend on getting this telescope in complete working order (I am NOT asking or soliciting for ANYTHING!!) , but I refuse to pass up this chance to bond with him, encourage this budding passion for Astronomy, and help get him OFF that blasted PlayBoxCube more frequently, and into something more beneficial for his young, developing mind!
      Now to my question(s)...
      What further (inexpensive) equipment would suffice in completing his new-to-us telescope, and increase his allure to the wonders awaiting his discovery in the heavens above? Quality vs Price? Trade-offs? On-topic/slightly off-specific-topic advice?
      Links, articles, groups, periodicals, videos...ANY suggestions gratefully welcomed!
      Thank you, in advance, for indulging my attempted-to-be-brief background/relevant personal info, and for taking the time to help this guy be a (better) dad again. I feel blessed to have found this particular site/group.
      Live Long & Prosper,
      -Larry 

• By cwinstone
      Hello, does anyone know if my imaging train looks correct, and if it does, why am i still getting these coma errors?
      Could it be incorrect backfocus? Searching the internet makes me think my dslr is 44mm, adding the t ring (even tried a 1mm spacer too) gets me to the required 55mm (assuming that's correct)
      I have no idea how to solve this and i feel like I'm just throwing money down the drain fighting this in vien. Help would be much appreciated.
      Skywacher Evostar 72ed
      Reducer rotator for 72ed (needs this for extra distance to achieve focus, the reducer and adapter alone doesn't allow for enough outwards travel)
      Reducer/corrector for ed72
      Canon eos 650d

• By SStanford
      Hi all,
      With the ongoing stock shortage it's going to be sometime before I get my hands on my desired scope for my ideal setup.
      I'd like to make the most of my current scope until stocks replenish and so I have a few questions about Flatteners and Reducers.
      I currently have a Celestron Inspire 100az (details here), a Canon 450D and a EQ3 Pro (synscan).
      As I understand, the 660mm focal length makes the scopes FOV too narrow for a mount such as the EQ3. Am I able to add a reducer to bring the focal length down to a level that would be suitable for this mount?
      If so, can someone provide some guidance as to which reducer would be the right choice?
      This brings me onto my next problem; I can achieve focus with my Canon 450D DSLR in the Celestron 100AZ but by only using the supplied diagonal (here) and my 2x Barlow (here).        
      I have tried using the 68mm extension tube that came with the T-ring and adaptor (here), inserting this directly into the scope but cannot achieve focus at all. In addition to a reducer, what else do i need to add to the OTA to get focussed?
      S.
    • By Gwil
      Hi Everyone,
      I've just bought a Skywatcher Evostar 72ed but can't get hold of the sky-watcher .85x reducer/flattener or the OVL versions in these current times.
      Can anyone suggest any alternatives to the above?
      Many thanks 
      John (UK)

• By gstallichet
      In market for a good quality, reasonably priced long focal length 1.25 eyepiece to increase fov and help locate and view large objects. Celestron makes a 32mm for @$45.00. Is it any good? Price seems too good to be true. What are good quality/price options?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.