Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Former Constellation Noctua - Details

MirelesJ

Good day. Newbie here. I am trying to find the exact members of the former constellation Noctua. On the Internet Wayback Machine I found an old post from December 2008 by David_leeD.061001 on the forum that slooh.com used to host. In this he identified the stars as 54 Hydrae through 59 Hydrae. In the Herschel 400 Observing Guide, page 192, the stars are listed as 4 Librae and 54 Hydrae through 57 Hydrae. On the International Dark-Sky Association's Facebook page on Noctua, the image shows a star seemingly further northeast and which I cannot identify. Can anyone tell me what this upper right star is (on the IDSA image).

I am designing a graphic based on Noctua and would like to get the star elements correct.

Regards,

MirelesJ

Hi Mireles,

Bit of trolling on old constellation pictures points at two possibilities for your NE star in the IDA image.

Either 89 Vir or 87 Vir

Of the two, 89 Vir is slightly brighter at Mv 4.95 against 87 Vir at Mv 5.4 from Stellarium software.

Regards,

Les 

Thanks, @Wyvern. Much obliged.

I posted this on Cloudy Nights as well, figuring the more eyes on this, the better. zleonis there said he thought the star I was looking for was 89 Virginis as well based on the Jamieson atlas. In my search, I'd found the Jamieson atlas images, but I lack the experience to really line it up with star charts, and I'm not sure what is Noctua's feet and what is Hydra's tail.

So far, I'm thinking the stars composing (which composed) Noctua are (were)

89 Virginis
4 Librae
54 Hydrae
55 Hydrae
56 Hydrae
57 Hydrae
58 Hydrae
59 Hydrae