Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Western Veil and Pickering's Triangle

R1k

Hi guys, after some constructive feedback if possible on this one. This is data from September which I have re-processed in PS now that I am more familiar with the use of star/layer masks (still very much a beginner). I have used the Ha and Oiii extract algorithms in APP and recombined as HOO in APP before moving across to PS for further processing. Acquisition details below. I have also recently sold my SW ED80 and have replaced this with a TS optics photoline 80mm Triplet (f6) + 0.79x TS optics reducer, if anyone else is also using this scope I'd be keen to hear about your experiences!

Equipment:

- Skywatcher HEQ5-pro (Rowan Belt Mod)

- Canon 800d (modded)

- Skywatcher Evostar 80ED

- Altair Lightwave 0.8x focal reducer/field flattener

- ZWO ASI-120MM-mini guide camera - SW 9x50 finderscope

- 2 inch mounted Optolong L-eNhance

Acquisition:

- Sharpcap polar alignment, ST4 autoguiding with PHD2

- Manual acquisition using intervalometer

- Lights - 20 x 360s (2 hours)

- Darks – 20

- Bias – 30

- Flats - 30

Thanks

Rik

star red.jpg

• Like 12

No real criticism from me, a great image. The only advice I could really give would be to try processing without using dark frames. Darks without a cooled camera can add noise rather than subtract it due to the variance in temperature of each frame.

• Like 1

I think thats a really great image. You have got lots of the really faint whisps.

One of the difficulties I found on this target was that there are just so many stars that they can overwhelm the nebula.  Since you are using ps there are a few methods of star reduction you could try. Look ar carbonis actions plugins it has a "make stars smaller" action that could work on this.

Another option would be use your extracted Ha image as  a luminance layer. Search for Ha luminance on Astrobackyard.com. He has a good tutorial to do this.

But really thats a great image in my eyes as it stands.

• Like 1

A great shot Rik from our poor Bortle skies in Manchester. I agree with using Noel Carboni’s action set and “make stars smaller” would get good results on your image. Well worth buying.

• Like 1