Jump to content

stargazine_ep39_banner.thumb.jpg.b87bddaa2aded94d2a3456c0589a82b9.jpg

Chroma price increase


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Mainly, basically there are none I can see with my AD filters. SII to a lesser extent and Ha seems to be the easiest and most get it right. I would say contrast is better in comparison to baader too. Which is not to say that baader filters are bad filters. 

I find as you say Oiii > Sii > Ha.  Ha for me is acceptable with the baader.  

Not that it matters now as I could never pay over £1400 for single filter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was happy to pay what I paid for my Mesu mount and my Takahashi scope - there was a clear and obvious advantage and they 'felt' like value for money. But £2300 for 3 tiny bits of glass ???? 

I’ve got to agree on all points! The chroma filters I bought were a big improvement over my baader. I had halos with all baader filters I’ve used. Incremental increases of course but worth the ex

Correct - I am NOT buying them. I was finding it hard to justify the cost/benefit to myself never mind my missus. Given that we are two weeks away from the middle of the imaging season and we hav

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I find as you say Oiii > Sii > Ha.  Ha for me is acceptable with the baader.  

Not that it matters now as I could never pay over £1400 for single filter.

Yeah I would never do that either. I'll be really interested to see how badly this hits their sales. Its a bold move when they have other companies with improving products nipping at their heals. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

I don't understand why the Chroma LoGlow is so expensive? 

Some of this is similar to the reason why some people will pay for apple and others think that android is just as good and cheaper. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

I don't understand why the Chroma LoGlow is so expensive? 

Personally I think the LowGLow was worth it for me as it has no halos. But it may not be the best value for money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are all incredibly wealthy or your cheese has slid off your crackers. All that to reduce star halos! What a whacky world we live in. All this is going a long way to making me think that pursuing AP is complete waist of time.

I might just spend ten grand on a huge Tak and another ten on Televue EP’s including the Apollo 11. Obviously observational astronomy is much better value for money 🤣

Marvin

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I think you are all incredibly wealthy or your cheese has slid off your crackers. All that to reduce star halos! What a whacky world we live in. All this is going a long way to making me think that pursuing AP is complete waist of time.

I might just spend ten grand on a huge Tak and another ten on Televue EP’s including the Apollo 11. Obviously observational astronomy is much better value for money 🤣

Marvin

Its definitely the cheese 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

These prices for NB filters are almost obscene.

An amateur astrophotographer must be quite rich and be ready to pay the price of a whole dedicated camera for a single filter(!).

Compare the price of a cooled IMX492 camera with these filters, it's crazy.

As you can imagine, I am not keen on entering this particular hobby at such exorbitant prices, so ZWO/QHY lose at least one DSO camera sale from me.

 

N.F.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, nfotis said:

These prices for NB filters are almost obscene.

An amateur astrophotographer must be quite rich and be ready to pay the price of a whole dedicated camera for a single filter(!).

Compare the price of a cooled IMX492 camera with these filters, it's crazy.

As you can imagine, I am not keen on entering this particular hobby at such exorbitant prices, so ZWO/QHY lose at least one DSO camera sale from me.

 

N.F.

 

Plenty of cloud with every filter. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nfotis said:

These prices for NB filters are almost obscene.

An amateur astrophotographer must be quite rich and be ready to pay the price of a whole dedicated camera for a single filter(!).

Compare the price of a cooled IMX492 camera with these filters, it's crazy.

As you can imagine, I am not keen on entering this particular hobby at such exorbitant prices, so ZWO/QHY lose at least one DSO camera sale from me.

 

N.F.

 

ZWO/QHY don't make the filters in question? And if it wasn't for the likes of ZWO/QHY this hobby would be out of reach for most, in particular availability of cooled cameras.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nfotis said:

These prices for NB filters are almost obscene.

An amateur astrophotographer must be quite rich and be ready to pay the price of a whole dedicated camera for a single filter(!).

Compare the price of a cooled IMX492 camera with these filters, it's crazy.

As you can imagine, I am not keen on entering this particular hobby at such exorbitant prices, so ZWO/QHY lose at least one DSO camera sale from me.

 

N.F.

 

There will always be those astro produces that are expensive, just as there will be cheaper ones.  This has always been the case - a few years ago it was the price of large CCD sensors (before that it was the cost of refractors) - most of us bought DSLRs to get the large sensor at a fraction of the price and accepted the compromises.  Your choice for not entering the hobby cant be based on the price of Chroma filters surely, when there are many many avenues to get started today, as @david_taurus83 says QHY/ZWO has revolutionised access to astro cameras.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone actually heard what the justification is for doubling the prices? The Antlia filters now seem to be available in 3nm so will be interesting to see how they perform. As said before, a 4/3rds cmos osc & exreeme/idas filters now come in at half the cost of a set of these.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

ZWO/QHY don't make the filters in question? And if it wasn't for the likes of ZWO/QHY this hobby would be out of reach for most, in particular availability of cooled cameras.

 

I am reading complaints about halos and reflections on the budget NB filters.

At least ZWO had serious problems with the unmounted 36mm filters, from what I remember, and they had to produce a different batch.

N.F.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

 As said before, a 4/3rds cmos osc & exreeme/idas filters now come in at half the cost of a set of these.

For places like Athens, with Bortle 8+ light pollution, it's claimed that only NB filters and monochrome sensors can be effective, though.

 

N.F.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.