SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

skywatcher skyliner 200p F5 dob.

seven_legs

So will all know what a crappy year it has been.

For myself frustration has been building up over many months not been able to take the "big" scope out to one of the dark sites for safety reason. 

My own garden is really to small for my 16" scope and I have limited view of the sky in a bad light polluted area. So I decided to invest in a small grab and go scope just for the back garden. I know some people will raise an eyebrow when I call a 8" dob a small grab and go scope but to me it is.

After doing a lot of research I thought the 8" Skywatcher would do the trick nicely. As most people know telescopes have become like gold dust during the last 6 months or so.

Anyway it must of been my lucky day because I noticed Trings Astronomy had one in stock, which I ordered on a Friday, came on the Monday. This was at the beginning of November and as with all good telescope stories it been cloudy ever since or clear when I have been working nights at the hospital😪.

The scope itself looks and feels solid. The focuser seems very basic but might change that later.

just really looking forward to using it and as often other people say that their smaller scope are often the most used scope.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 200p is a great telescope! Also well within the sweet spot of decent aperture and portability! I wheeled mine a mile up the road to access some light pollution-free skies...

It's a bit of a strange experience when using scopes of smaller aperture. You initially feel disappointed with the decrease in size but as you become more experienced in observing, it's amazing what you can see. I have observing equipment of various apertures and gave had satisfying observing sessions with all of them, whether it's viewing a planet through a 20", seeing nebulae though 8, 12 or 16" of aperture,  right through to spotting M31 through 10x50 binoculars during a quick session. 

The only thing I can attribute to this is years of experience perhaps making me more adaptable? I don't know but is this some sort of recovery cycle from aperture fever? 😁

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Beulah said:

The 200p is a great telescope! Also well within the sweet spot of decent aperture and portability! I wheeled mine a mile up the road to access some light pollution-free skies...

It's a bit of a strange experience when using scopes of smaller aperture. You initially feel disappointed with the decrease in size but as you become more experienced in observing, it's amazing what you can see. I have observing equipment of various apertures and gave had satisfying observing sessions with all of them, whether it's viewing a planet through a 20", seeing nebulae though 8, 12 or 16" of aperture,  right through to spotting M31 through 10x50 binoculars during a quick session. 

The only thing I can attribute to this is years of experience perhaps making me more adaptable? I don't know but is this some sort of recovery cycle from aperture fever? 😁

thanks Beulah,

I agree with everything you said.

• Like 1