Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 with 071 and Borg 77EDll

alan potts

13 minutes ago, alan potts said:

You don't miss anything do you. First this was taken with my 071 which is of course a OSC. I am only trying this filter from IDAS as it is meant to filter out LED and in the south east I have an LED glow from the town, but nowhere else, it's just easier for me to image that way as my walnut trees reduce south west time on objects. The reason why there is the cutoff that you picked out is that I don't have any graduation software so I use the healing tool technique in PS to graduate the background, which I thought I had got away with, but not from you. So it may well be there but I could have covered it. It is a good technique but maybe this galaxy is a bit too big to use it, works a treat on smaller ones. I can easily go to 5 minute subs here and probably longer 

It could also be a tad darker so I agree with you, I tend to hurry processing and that is not a good thing,

Many thanks Alan

Given the cost of the gear, a potent gradient removal tool punches well above its price weight but you mention not wanting to pay for things online. I wonder if any of the options would be available by cheque.

Olly

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Given the cost of the gear, a potent gradient removal tool punches well above its price weight but you mention not wanting to pay for things online. I wonder if any of the options would be available by cheque.

Olly

I must have a look into gradient removal Olly, I know it can lift any shot to the next level, I know a few way to do grads but these is always a target that fools them. I tried to take your advice given a good while back now on spend 3 nights on a target, not 3 targets in one night. I rarely stay more than 3-4 hours outside but have now managed 20 hours on M33, which is quite something for me. I was going to add to data from last year which I had all foldered together but the drive crashed and I lost the lot.

Now after buying a few things before brexit throws a spanner in the works, weather is set poor for a week. Hope to improve my guiding too with a OAG, at least on the 800mm APO.

Alan

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

this filter from IDAS

Hi

I tried light pollution filters and TBH, I came to the conclusion that if you want to get natural galaxy and star colour (and there aren't many of us left!) you're better without. Otherwise you're fighting colour which has had chunks of the visible spectrum removed and impossible to replace.

If you can't get StarTools working for the gradient, Siril which is a free download, comes a close second. Or just go with whatever you're most familiar.

Cheers

27 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

I tried light pollution filters and TBH, I came to the conclusion that if you want to get natural galaxy and star colour (and there aren't many of us left!) you're better without. Otherwise you're fighting colour which has had chunks of the visible spectrum removed and impossible to replace.

If you can't get StarTools working for the gradient, Siril which is a free download, comes a close second. Or just go with whatever you're most familiar.

Cheers

I have looked at both these and I am not very IT minded though I know my way around PS, I found the crop for example in Startools ridiculous, I will have a play with it another time after all PS is able to pretty much anything if you press the right buttons and it wasn't cheap. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, it will just take me time. I think this IDAS filter is a slightly better option for LED light, if I don't like it well, on the shelf I guess.

Alan

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

crop for example in Startools ridiculous,

Yeah. If you want conventional menus-along-the-top with graphs and stuff, then StarTools is perhaps not the way to go.

Stick with that which you know best.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

Cheers

That makes a lot of sense to me. At least with LP unfiltered you're going to get a smooth gradient. Once it has steps in it ('chunks' as you say) you're going to be faced with the massive task of removing those 'chunks' in post processing, which first means defining their boundaries. Give me a smooth gradient to remove any day. This isn't based on experience of LP so it may be flawed.

Olly

• Like 1

Had a quick play.

Pulled the TIFF into AA7 and decomposed into separate RGB channels

Applied Gradient Reduction > Adaptive Subtract to each

The individual files into Trichromy followed by a slight colour rebalance.

DDP followd by a slight Saturation Boos while holding back the background then export as TIFF

Into Affinity Photo for Channel Mixer > CMYK and reduce the magenta in the magenta channel.

Finally export as Best Quality JPEG

437933184_AndromedaProcessed.thumb.jpg.7aa66992df755cbd49e6796a14b4d4ca.jpg

Edited by DaveS

18 hours ago, DaveS said:

Had a quick play.

Pulled the TIFF into AA7 and decomposed into separate RGB channels

Applied Gradient Reduction > Adaptive Subtract to each

The individual files into Trichromy followed by a slight colour rebalance.

DDP followd by a slight Saturation Boos while holding back the background then export as TIFF

Into Affinity Photo for Channel Mixer > CMYK and reduce the magenta in the magenta channel.

Finally export as Best Quality JPEG

437933184_AndromedaProcessed.thumb.jpg.7aa66992df755cbd49e6796a14b4d4ca.jpg

Had a quick play, sounds like you spent ages on it reading that, most of which I am sad to say i don't understand. A very nice result though and the pick of those done in my opinion. Thanks for posting.

Alan

Thanks Alan, and glad you like it, but it really was a quick play, doubt if it took more than 30 mins or so. Most of the processes I applied were not much more than one-click actions in AA7, the non-liner DDP taking the longest. The channel mixer in Affinity took a little care to pull the magenta stars down without sending everything green again.

As it's raining AGAIN here this evening, I had a little play with your data Alan. I think you just need a bit more integration time and if you can some Ha data to slot in and you'll have a fantastic image!

Alan_M31.jpg

Edited by Phillyo

15 hours ago, Phillyo said:

As it's raining AGAIN here this evening, I had a little play with your data Alan. I think you just need a bit more integration time and if you can some Ha data to slot in and you'll have a fantastic image!

Alan_M31.jpg

Sadly no H alpha available. If you wish to have a go at a longer Tif file I posted 14 hours of M33 about 10 days or so back, feel free to download that, so good result from people on that one. You have done well on this M31 though. Just checked the M33 data is 12 pages back.

Alan

• Like 1