Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seeing Galilean moons and Saturn's rings for the first time

After some negotiation with my wife, I bought a 70mm Sky-Watcher refractor, second-hand from Facebook.  I wasn't expecting much but I had an hour in the back garden this evening and I was amazed to see Jupiter and the Galilean moons so clearly.  I was even more amazed to see Saturn's rings.  Best £45 I've spent this year I think. 

I attempted a bit of smartphone photography.  Not my best work.

20201205-Jupiter.jpg

• Like 20

Perfect, the best and greatest value for money scope you will ever get. You may get people saying “if you buy bigger... if you get better...” you have just seen the best entry level view there is.

I have yet to see an astronomer that has forgotten their first Jovian moons and rings of Saturn. Well done you! Please keep it up and please keep posting here. The most posted on this forum are with you,when those ‘firsts’ happen.

I for one wish I could have them all again. A great second best is show a friend. I showed a pal Saturn on a great nights viewing and he looked into the eyepiece, and swore out loud, looked at me in the darkness and said “you must be joking”. Actually what he said I cannot write.

Total validation of that first time, gives me goose bumps. Do Astro for you, but if you ever get the chance carry that torch and help someone else.

Marv

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Perfect, the best and greatest value for money scope you will ever get. You may get people saying “if you buy bigger... if you get better...” you have just seen the best entry level view there is.

I have yet to see an astronomer that has forgotten their first Jovian moons and rings of Saturn. Well done you! Please keep it up and please keep posting here. The most posted on this forum are with you,when those ‘firsts’ happen.

I for one wish I could have them all again. A great second best is show a friend. I showed a pal Saturn on a great nights viewing and he looked into the eyepiece, and swore out loud, looked at me in the darkness and said “you must be joking”. Actually what he said I cannot write.

Total validation of that first time, gives me goose bumps. Do Astro for you, but if you ever get the chance carry that torch and help someone else.

Marv

I have all my fingers crossed for another clear night before Jupiter and Saturn dissappear, so I can show my wife and daughter.  They will love it.

• Like 4

That’s the best £45 you will ever spend. None of us will ever forget the first time we saw Jupiter and it’s moons all lined up in a row and Saturn with its awesome ring system, what a stunning sight! You have just started out in what could become a life long passion, I wish you well in your venture into astronomy.

• Like 1

As it happens my 1st scope cost me £45 as well. I bought it around 40 years ago and I still have it. It did a great job of getting me hooked on astronomy. I even managed to see some galaxies with the thing as well as the planets !

tasco02.JPG.ec3e1bb0485944d3097bd13df460a273.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, John said:

As it happens my 1st scope cost me £45 as well. I bought it around 40 years ago and I still have it. It did a great job of getting me hooked on astronomy. I even managed to see some galaxies with the thing as well as the planets !

Hi John, I think it can be said your scope doesn’t owe you anything. It looks a great piece of kit and I can only imagine the pleasure you had seeing the planets through it, no wonder you got hooked!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/12/2020 at 20:06, Honcho41 said:

I attempted a bit of smartphone photography.  Not my best work.

Well , i am going to tell you otherwise ... this is a great photo because its something you saw through the EP and captured it . You will always be reminded of your views . There is far too much "snobbery" ( i hasten to add , NOT on this forum) regarding astrophotography imo . But there is so much scope (pun intended) where photography is concerned. I actually get more pleasure looking at a photo like yours than seeing a heavily processed image that has had star sizes reduced and colours enhanced . Its the sheer enthusiasm that shines  through in your picture . And well done for highlighting the fact that we don't need an expensive piece of hardware to enjoy , what is essentially the most wonderful hobby there is .  :) 

• Like 5

I remember my first view of the Galileans, in binoculars. I had to go and check their alleged positions to be sure I wasn't fooling myself. Still counts as one of my first "Wow" moments. I agree with Stu's comments above, you tried and it's something to remember and be proud of. At the end of the day, no amateur can compete with "proper" telescopes anyway, we don't have personal Hubbles etc - which is not be construed that I think amateurs are wasting their time of course.

• Like 4

A good start!  My first was also a 70mm frac (Meade), and like many folk, it got me hooked (some six years ago).  When it showed me Saturn, I just stood there making cooing noises.

You can also try Orion's Nebula M42, the Pleiades open cluster M45, and the Moon of course.  You'll also be able to split Mizar/Alcor in The Plough - one star naked eye; two separate stars through the 'scope.

A lot more pleasure awaits you!

Doug.

• Like 2

I have managed to get Titan using an old Canon EF70-210mm lens on a Canon 40D back in 2012, and felt exactly the same, similar image quality, this was the first time.

Titan is just right of Saturn at 8.58mag.

The Brighter Star is HIP 67855 mag 7.7  the other HIP 67471 Mag 8.95, so you can get images with wow factor with modest kit.

However, others have already warned you about the addictiveness.

saturn & titan.jpg

• Like 2