SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your set up in action during the day.

Nigella Bryant

10 minutes ago, JamesF said:

It was the right way up when I took it, onnist, ossifer.

James

Yes sir,  I’m sure it was. Now if you wouldn’t mind getting off your chair, putting your telescope away and removing yourself and all your gear from the centre of the roundabout ASAP, and I don’t care how lovely and dark it it is there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

All of these great white light and H-alpha setups/images aren't helping on my itch to buy a solar wedge or daystar quark:confused3:

Daytime astronomy definitely does have appeal. have a solar filter I use when there are any sunspots to observe but must admit that seeing the sun in monochrome is such a let down when  compared to what can be seen when using the appropriate gear, it gives me massive colour envy because I can’t see red! 

EDIT: I can of course see the colour red, it was a joke playing on the fact I couldn’t see red through my solar filter and that made me see red, if you see what I mean?

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moonshed said:

Daytime astronomy definitely does have appeal. have a solar filter I use when there are any sunspots to observe but must admit that seeing the sun in monochrome is such a let down when  compared to what can be seen when using the appropriate gear, it gives me massive colour envy because I can’t see red! 

You could try Ca-K it's a blue wavelength. Not my image, it's an example of what can be seen in Ca-K line.

PSX_20201204_114048.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

You could try Ca-K it's a blue wavelength. Not my image, it's an example of what can be seen in Ca-K line.

PSX_20201204_114048.jpg

Thanks for the info, I wasn’t aware of that before and It’s definitely a big step in the right direction, but at a cost of well over a £1,000 I’m not tempted, I’ll stick with my monochrome image and think what else to spend my imaginary thousand on. Nice image though I have to say.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Looking good Miguel

Thanks, still got a lot of room to improve though, i'm a bit green when it comes to solar imaging. 

Just bought a new camera so that will free up a 1600MM, looking forward to some full disk solar imaging 🤓

• Like 1

Great thread Nigella, love what’s been posted so far.

Of course it’s added to my desire for more Solar kit, enjoy my WL observing, but somehow feel I need more, the controlling factor here is money of course, so unless I win the lottery.

Will dig out an image of scope in WL use.

Edited by Alan White
  • Thanks 1

Here's my current daytime setup. A 102mm refractor and Herschel wedge. This picture is from the recent Mercury transit, my dad is having a look through one of the breaks between the clouds.20191111_140546_HDR-1600x900.thumb.jpg.298c5250e09f1b4b1f36e798b1afab04.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Great thread Nigella, love what’s been posted so far.

Of course it’s added to my desire for more Solar kit, enjoy my WL observing, but somehow feel I need more, the controlling factor here is money of course, so unless I win the lottery.

Will dig out an image of scope in WL use.

Me too, I only do white light at the moment but when I grow up I hope to have a Ha set up!

• Like 2

Hi all, doesn't matter if it's white light, ha or Ca-k line. It all counts and it's important to count and observe the frequency of sunspots in white light as much as any other wavelength. Observations can be sent to the BAA Solar section. You can contribute no matter what wavelength you observe in. Don't be thrown by ha and Ca-k. In fact I had a Baader white light filter and a Baader Ca-k line filter (not the £1000 Lunt) for my birthday yesterday. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was a 3500 mile round trip but the weather was perfect.  I did months of research to figure out a location with the highest probability for good weather.

We got lucky. 😀    The audio track is almost as good as the video.  I  love the crowd and the church bells ringing in the middle.....I thought...."nice touch" 🤪

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread has been a little quiet, so here is my solar setup today. White light with the Tak, Coolwedge and Baader Mark IVs, Ha with a 102mm PST mod and TS binoviewers.

Some good views between clouds today. It was better this morning but could only setup at lunchtime. There is an active region AR12814 showing clearly in both setups, actually looking pretty dramatic in Ha.

50C01D29-CE6A-427C-B361-002E40D38350.jpeg

70298F3B-5E12-4046-9C0D-140122250C77.jpeg

• Like 6