SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Start of a new collection?

Mr Spock

Here's what I have so far:

132747369_D72_8345_DxOSGL.thumb.jpg.e277cc5a6393b85ea856995bdd405bb0.jpg

The two on the right I've had for quite a few years, the two on the left arrived yesterday. I hope to add a 12.5mm and a 5mm as soon as I see some become available.

I know they have a very small field size compared to modern designs, but orthoscopics have a special feel to the image quality. I can't quite put my finger on what it is; contrast, sharpness, dark background - idk. Whatever it is, I enjoy using them.

I'll be using them for double stars and planets, so the field size is unimportant. I'll reserve my LVW's for the moon and deep sky.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Michael I know this is not a CircleT but its an Ortho the size you want

I have seen that one - not sure though. I'd like a matching set. I might think about it as a temporary stop gap.

The 12.5mm ortho in the advert looks like a circle T.  I think Dudley Fuller just rebadged with his Fullerscopes label.

Agreed, something very nice about those Ortho’s.  The tiny size is attractive as well, a bunch of them occupying a small space in your eyepiece box 👍

Ed.

• Like 1

Yes, they are very nice eyepieces. Here's my collection of these. I had to use a circle V for the 7mm - I didn't know there was a 5mm - another one to keep a lookout for.

For day to day use I tend to use a different set of orthos, originally available from Opticstar as Ascension orthos, long since sold out. They are still available from China under the Kson brand, at about £40 a pop. I even managed to get a pair of the 24mm and 10.5mm for binoviewing, for which they are outstanding.

David

1607170693345239258719.jpg

160717147988592932396.jpg

• Like 6

I have a 12.5mm fullerscope and it is very good so not a bad stop-gap if you decide to go for it. Mine was a bit battered on the black metalwork but I've stripped it down and cleaned the rough edge up with a fine file and touched up the paint. Also cleaned the lenses and blacked the edges while I was at it. Real fiddly working with such tiny lenses but much clearer once cleaned up and no jagged metal edge to snag the fingers on.

• Like 1

I used to have some of the University Optics branded versions of these:

https://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-12764-133877536219.jpg

Over the years I've had them with Celestron, Vixen, Orion (USA), Telescope House and the Circle-T versions too. I spent some time comparing them with Baader Genuine Orthos, Astro Hutech and Fujiyama HD orthos and the Baader Classic Orthos when they came out. I probably posted some reports at some stage.

• Like 4

I currently have the four Kyson Orthos -  4.8mm, 7.7mm, 10.5mm, 16.8mm, which I bought as set some time ago but have used them very little, prefering the widefields such as TV or ExSc, the 5th Kson (24mm)  was added to the series later, but I don't have that one as my 24mm Pan fills that gap with perfection.

4 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Here's the little fellas sitting in their case :smile:

Interestingly the 18mm and 9mm have a slightly larger FOV than the others.

640173469_D72_8359_DxO2048.thumb.jpg.c5154e2c55247da23241a277ae2c3856.jpg

That's a cracking selection Michael. The LVWs are superb too, very underrated IMHO: the LVW22 is probably my all time favourite eyepiece between 20mm and 30mm and I hope to acquire another one at some point 👍.

Back on the VT orthos, I always felt the 18mm and 12.5mm were the pick of the bunch..I predict eventually you will have an OCD urge to complete the "proper" set!😁

Dave

Ortho 12.5mm.JPG.5160307336c8e5e0ebdfc5158dc5f13a.jpeg

Even the 4mm VT is a a usable eyepiece, or at least easier to use than the later 4mm "flat top" styles. The VT lifts the eye lens towards the eye which helps with the tight eye relief.

Baader included a sort of "mini volcano" top in their Classic Orthos but personally I think they could have taken that a little further. The ended up with more of a fumarole than an proper volcano !

Edited by John
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

In mighty fine condition if you've collected those 'used' Mr Spock.

I finally completed my circle t ortho collection this year with a used 25mm.

It's only taken me 35years! 😳

All circle t's ,but somewhat mismatched in comparison to your brood & my 18mm is showing it's mileage.(I think that was the EP i actually stuck to  on a particularly frosty night in the 80's)

The original 'set'  for many years comprised 4,6,9,12.5,18 & 25mm I believe.

The 5 & 7mm's were a relatively recent addition,so somewhat rarer.

Good luck with the hunt for a 5mm.

While you're hunting you probably need the 6mm also~ you know it makes sense.😉

• Like 1