sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Ideal lens for Meade Lightbridge 130 to view Saturn

Hi. Complete newbie to the hobby here. Just purchased a Meade Lightbridge 130 for my daughter as an upgrade to her Skywatcher Infinity 76. I'd like for her to see the rings of Saturn sometime with her new scope. Would getting a better lens improve her chances of a good view of the rings of Saturn? And if so, what lens would you recommend. Thank you

Since it came with a 9mm eyepiece of unknown quality yielding 650/9=72x, that should be enough to easily resolve Saturn's rings and some of its moons.  However, if you want to push up the power some, I would recommend getting a 5mm BST Starguider, Dual ED, or AT Paradigm (they're all the same) for 650/5=130x.  It's a very good eyepiece with comfortable eye relief and generous 60 degree apparent field of view.  At 130x, you might start to resolve the Cassini division in the rings.

42 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Since it came with a 9mm eyepiece of unknown quality yielding 650/9=72x, that should be enough to easily resolve Saturn's rings and some of its moons.  However, if you want to push up the power some, I would recommend getting a 5mm BST Starguider, Dual ED, or AT Paradigm (they're all the same) for 650/5=130x.  It's a very good eyepiece with comfortable eye relief and generous 60 degree apparent field of view.  At 130x, you might start to resolve the Cassini division in the rings.

Thank you very much Louis. I shall *take a look at those (pun intended)

23 hours ago, Louis D said:

+1 for the BST, and FLO even have them in stock which is a bonus in the current climate.

image.png.4a03cffc5932e9b400f77a6274249e7c.png 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By micovn
      This is a lens that does not need an introduction, it's simply a fantastic budget lens! I've been using it for astrophotography with great results and satisfaction (see pictures). Just selling it becuase I'm upgrading to the 135mm version. Any questions please ask. Asking £160 which includes P&P to UK mainland.

• By JemC
      I have recently acquired a Vixen Polarie with the intension of doing some wide field imaging, 
      I will be using my modified Canon 600D with it, Currently the only lens i have are a standard kit Canon 18-55mm and a old carl Zeiss Jenna 50mm , so i am looking at purchasing alternative lens to use,
      The ones i am looking at for now are the following,
      Canon EF 135mm f/2 L USM
       Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM
       Samyang 135mm f2 ED UMC
       Samyang 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC 
       Sigma 150mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro
       Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX
      So my question is, has anyone used any of these ( other than the Samyang 135mm f2 ) for wide field and if so how did you find them, would you recommend any of them?
      from the ones listed (other than the Samyang 135mm f2 ) would you say there are better ones to look at or any other i should consider?
      Regards
      James
    • By thepainpastor
      Greetings All!
      Very Short Explanation: I'm disabled (43) and desperately trying to find ways to still bond/spend time with my youngest son (13).

My son expressed an interest, about two months ago, in Astronomy after watching a few YouTube videos on the subject (specifically, the moon and our neighboring planets). He asked if one day we could get a telescope. I was somewhat surprised when, over the course of the following days/weeks, he didn't forget about his request or shift his attention to other, "more 13 year old pressing matters." In fact, he became increasingly MORE excited, despite our lack of progress on the subject (except for many hours of questions and research regarding all things space).
      So, I decided that somehow, someway, I would discover the means in which to make this dream of his a reality.  However, due to our financial situation, I wasn't sure it would ever happen. Well, lo and behold, I stumbled across a Vivitar 76700 Reflecting Telescope, while killing time before a drs appt, at the local Goodwill, for only $14.99. I immediately withdrew my "Emergency $20" from my wallet, and I purchased it! 
      When I finally arrived home, I began the process of putting it together. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that it lacked everything which is placed in the "lens hole/slot" on the top, back of the telescope (just a hole, no lens, barrel, or anything originally included to fill said hole.
      !!!EDIT/CORRECTION!!!: It DOES have the piece which screws onto the side of the telescope that has "adjustor knobs" below it for, I'm assuming, extending/retracting the lens(?). There is just nothing INSIDE this piece except a hole/space. Sorry! 
      This is our youngest son (13), who is a "loner." He is very quiet/shy/lacks self-confidence, and suffers from mental/learning disabilities, but truly is "sharp as a tack" in many, many ways. So, when we discover something, anything, educationally speaking, that peaks his interest, we try our hardest to encourage him! 
      Now, I don't really have any/much money to spend on getting this telescope in complete working order (I am NOT asking or soliciting for ANYTHING!!) , but I refuse to pass up this chance to bond with him, encourage this budding passion for Astronomy, and help get him OFF that blasted PlayBoxCube more frequently, and into something more beneficial for his young, developing mind!
      Now to my question(s)...
      What further (inexpensive) equipment would suffice in completing his new-to-us telescope, and increase his allure to the wonders awaiting his discovery in the heavens above? Quality vs Price? Trade-offs? On-topic/slightly off-specific-topic advice?
      Links, articles, groups, periodicals, videos...ANY suggestions gratefully welcomed!
      Thank you, in advance, for indulging my attempted-to-be-brief background/relevant personal info, and for taking the time to help this guy be a (better) dad again. I feel blessed to have found this particular site/group.
      Live Long & Prosper,
      -Larry 

• By MarsG76
      Hello All,
      This is a photo accurate representation of how I've seen the conjunction through a Skywatch 14" f4.6 Dobsonian, using the 17mm Ethos eyepiece combined with the 2X Powermate during the observation of the great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn, and how well both of the planets fit into the eyepiece field of view.
      My location on the east coast of Australia was totally overcast for the last week and this evening I had a small window of opportunity to actually have a glimpse of the rare event, which no doubt, I will not have a another chance of experiencing in my life time.
      This happened about 17 hours after the actual closest point between the planets, and most likely the difference would be so small that it wouldn't be noticeable without direct comparison. 
      This image was composited by first taking a series of shots through the eyepiece using an iPhone, I chose the best frame of the series than superimposed the overexposed planets with images of the planets captured separately with enough transparency as to accurately show how the planet details looked in the eyepiece.
      Observation time was 22 December 2020 @ 09:51 UTC.
      Clear Skies,
      MG

• By bomberbaz
      So I originally planned to go to a good vantage point from the top of Pendle hill, watch out for witches whilst there. It is a local and well known Lancastrian landmark. However my wife is recovering from hospital treatment and so I didn't want to leave her so made do much closer to home.
      A short drive (2 minutes) took me to a place aside the motorway slip road but with a clear-ish view of the setting planets. I was only use 10x30 bins so the view was not particularly well defined but still impressive when considering distances and such. 
      Anyway it is in the bag but would like to do better if at all possible. 
      If the skies are more obliging tomorrow I may venture out with the EEVA set up and grab some data, however the forecast is not so good.
      Cheers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.