SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

About to use a telescope for the first time

This week I received delivery of my Sky-Watcher MAK 102 with EQ1 mount and tripod. I have assembled everything, aligned the red dot finder and set the latitude to 47 degrees on the mount.

When aligning the red dot on a target I notice that the image is reversed left to right, I assume this is "normal" albeit a little disorientating. Is there a way of correcting this?

Tomorrow night promises clear skies so that will probably be mine and the scopes debut. I will be looking at the Moon, Mars and, if not too low, Jupiter and Saturn. All easy to find just by swinging the scope around and using the red dot. That will probably be sufficient for a first attempt but looking further ahead what DSO's would be easy to find and present a good viewing opportunity given the constraints of my scope?

Am I right in assuming that polar alignment and the technicalities of the EQ mount only come in to play when I want to find something using co-ordinates or tracking an object. In other words, for easily located objects, I can just point and "shoot"?

The red dot finder will show the correct image. The image through the scope will be left-right reversed. This is normal when using a mirror diagonal.

To get a fully corrected view through the scope you would need to use a prism like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/skywatcher-90-erecting-prism.html

Personally I think the regular mirror diagonal is better for astronomical use if you can adjust to the reversed view.

I'll leave others to advise on the other questions you raise.

• Like 1

Viewing during the day it will appear left to right, but at night you will not notice any difference as all you see is Dark and stars/Planets.

The Moon and Planets will appear back to front but that makes no difference

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aquavit said:

Am I right in assuming that polar alignment and the technicalities of the EQ mount only come in to play when I want to find something using co-ordinates or tracking an object. In other words, for easily located objects, I can just point and "shoot"?

Yes you don't have to polar align an EQ for visual observing, you can just point & observe.

But doing an approximate polar alignment will make observing more relaxing since you can manually track an object for quite a long time using just the RA slow-motion knob, rather than tracking on both axes.

For an approximate PA;

Set the latitude (which you have done)

Level the tripod as best you can, with the N mark pointing to Polaris (if you can see it) or just approx North.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Thank you John and valleyman, based on your comments I will stick with the mirror diagonal.

Thanks for the confirmation of the "easy set-up" Lenscap. I was a little fearful of the EQ mount as I'd read that it wasn't great for beginners but it seems logical to me, albeit the  markings and pointers on the scale rings of the EQ1 don't look to be a thing of great precision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquavit said:

This week I received delivery of my Sky-Watcher MAK 102 with EQ1 mount and tripod. I have assembled everything, aligned the red dot finder and set the latitude to 47 degrees on the mount.

When aligning the red dot on a target I notice that the image is reversed left to right, I assume this is "normal" albeit a little disorientating. Is there a way of correcting this?

Yes, I think the skymax maks all ship with  what is called an erecting prism diagonal, I guess because they are popular for birdwatching etc as wel as astronomy. This means the view is the right way up, but reversed left/right. It may be good for daytime use, but if you are used to a newtonian reflector (which flips the image upside down) it's a pain to adjust to , my Moon map is the wrong way up ! (most Moon maps have S at the top , not N)  I have a 'star diagonal' on my wishlist to turn the view in my mak the right (wrong !) way up.  As valleyman said, you won't notice the left/right when observing the skies other than when using such maps,.

The red dot finder is just a light superimposed on the sky by a sort of optical illusion, it , no lenses , mirrors or prisms involved, so appears correctly, left=left , up=up etc.

1 hour ago, Aquavit said:

Tomorrow night promises clear skies so that will probably be mine and the scopes debut. I will be looking at the Moon, Mars and, if not too low, Jupiter and Saturn. All easy to find just by swinging the scope around and using the red dot. That will probably be sufficient for a first attempt but looking further ahead what DSO's would be easy to find and present a good viewing opportunity given the constraints of my scope?

I recently bought the 127 mak , and have not had much time with it yet, too many clouds ! However, I have managed the Moon (which is stunning) , and Mars too, you are right, they are easy to get lined up with the red dot. Saturn and Jupiter are very low in the sky for me , so the view is not great, but you may be able to at least see them, just not in much detail.

I bought the mak specifically to use for planets, my first telescope is a heritage 150 dobsonian which has a wider field of view and is better for DSOs, but I have sneaked a peek at the Pleiades and the Orion Nebula with the mak and both are easy to find in the sky and as you can see them with the naked eye, they are easy to line up with the RDF.

Sorry, I can't comment on the eq mount, I use alt/az !

Good luck , hope the sky clears for you !

Edited by Tiny Clanger
stupid spelling (or typing)
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aquavit said:

I was a little fearful of the EQ mount as I'd read that it wasn't great for beginners but it seems logical to me

Certainly don't feel intimidated by the EQ mount now that you have bought it 😁

You are correct that beginners who are deciding on their first telescope are often advised that EQ mounts are "harder" than than ALT-AZ, but that's because
- a lot of people just aren't very "spatial", and may find ALT-AZ to be less of a challenge
- beginners often don't understand how the Earth relates to the heavens and how it moves, which is the reason why the EQ mount does what it does
- (especially with a newtonian on an EQ mount) the eyepiece can sometimes end up in some awkward positions

and especially if the beginner isn't interested in photography, EQ isn't really needed.

But if you are a logical/spatial person, you will manage.

Oh, and you're right, the scale markings on less expensive mounts like the EQ1 will not help you. They need to be much larger and more accurate to be useful.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

For first DSO's you cannot beat globular clusters.  They are bright and easy to recognise in the eyepiece.

Thanks for that suggestion Tomatobro.  I've just had a look in my newly acquired "Turn Left at Orion", it seems not many are visible at this time of year and a lot also seem to be low down in the sky. I can see why patience should be considered a key attribute with this hobby!

The Orion Nebula is an obvious target and will be visible in your scope. You will need a dark sky to get the best of it though.

There are some good open clusters in Auriga just now. M35, M36 and M37 will be nice.

• Like 2