sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Some suggestions for you, assuming that the EQDIR adapter has installed correctly with the right driver (which chipset is displayed under device manager ?)

With the EQDIR cable connected directly to the laptop connect it to the mount.  Check in device manager that the port is set to the default 9600 baud, 8, no parity.  Open up the EQASCOM toolbox from the EQMOD programs folder.  Try clicking on the register button to set the driver in association with ASCOM platform.  Click on the Driver set up button and in the EQASCOM  window select the port that the EQDIR cable is using, followed by OK.  Now click the ASCOM connect button, hopefully EQMOD will launch without complaining.

If this works, then power down the laptop, disconnect the EQDIR cable from the laptop and then place the active USB cable between the EQDIR cable and the laptop and repeat the above.  If this works then it proves the active cable is OK.  Powerdown and repeat, but this time install the hub.  Again power up and repeat the above.  If you get this far and you can still control the mount using the NSWE buttons (with the steps set to 4) then it would prove your hardware set up is OK.

To identify if Stellarium is the issue, download and install CdC ( Cartes du Ciel ).  Set up the location data based on where in the world you are.  Open up the telescope settings and select ASCOM, and then close.  Then select Telescope control box and click the select button.  In the telescope chooser, select the mount and click OK.  Then click on the "connect" button which should then bring up EQMOD and connect to the scope.  You can then test by right clicking on a target, select telescope and slew.  All being well the scope will start to move to the position of the target.  Obviously at this point you've proved all the hardware and a software application that uses the ASCOM platform to communicate the the mount.  So this just leaves Stellarium as being the issue.  Now I haven't used this application in years, and then you had to download and install a 3rd party plugin to get it to talk to the SW mount via ASCOM and it was flakey back then.  So I'm not best to advise how to set this application up and test. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I followed this guide https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-an-equatorial-mount-on-ascom-with-eqmod-stellarium-and-cartes-du-ciel.html

Good guide i used this to setup my eq5

Totally endorse the light vortex guide. I'd even recommend installing stellarium scope, as it suggests, because I find it useful when aligning. I was getting nowhere with my NEQ6 and I still remember,

Posted Images

15 hours ago, malc-c said:

Some suggestions for you, assuming that the EQDIR adapter has installed correctly with the right driver (which chipset is displayed under device manager ?)

With the EQDIR cable connected directly to the laptop connect it to the mount.  Check in device manager that the port is set to the default 9600 baud, 8, no parity.  Open up the EQASCOM toolbox from the EQMOD programs folder.  Try clicking on the register button to set the driver in association with ASCOM platform.  Click on the Driver set up button and in the EQASCOM  window select the port that the EQDIR cable is using, followed by OK.  Now click the ASCOM connect button, hopefully EQMOD will launch without complaining.

If this works, then power down the laptop, disconnect the EQDIR cable from the laptop and then place the active USB cable between the EQDIR cable and the laptop and repeat the above.  If this works then it proves the active cable is OK.  Powerdown and repeat, but this time install the hub.  Again power up and repeat the above.  If you get this far and you can still control the mount using the NSWE buttons (with the steps set to 4) then it would prove your hardware set up is OK.

To identify if Stellarium is the issue, download and install CdC ( Cartes du Ciel ).  Set up the location data based on where in the world you are.  Open up the telescope settings and select ASCOM, and then close.  Then select Telescope control box and click the select button.  In the telescope chooser, select the mount and click OK.  Then click on the "connect" button which should then bring up EQMOD and connect to the scope.  You can then test by right clicking on a target, select telescope and slew.  All being well the scope will start to move to the position of the target.  Obviously at this point you've proved all the hardware and a software application that uses the ASCOM platform to communicate the the mount.  So this just leaves Stellarium as being the issue.  Now I haven't used this application in years, and then you had to download and install a 3rd party plugin to get it to talk to the SW mount via ASCOM and it was flakey back then.  So I'm not best to advise how to set this application up and test. 

Thanks for the suggestions Malcom. I’m literally just about to reinstall ASCOM and EQASCOM, but as you suggested I’ve taken a look at the driver with the Lynx EQDIR cable connected. Windows 7 automatically downloaded and configured it. To be honest I’ve really no idea whether or not it’s the best driver for the job. The baud rate, data bits and parity match your suggestion. I’ll post a couple of pics of the driver properties below:

0B0F508C-1A3B-42BB-A2F7-A2692A8EF4D3.jpeg

7B2DE122-F375-4F0B-B5D2-295F96340992.jpeg

The thing that is confusing me is there is an entry for a USB serial convertor and a USB Serial port, and the top set of images relate to the converter.  Most EQDIR cables just show up as a USB serial port with a single line entry in device manager.  You could always google the hardware ID (go to the details tab and select hardware ID from the drop down list, then copy and search for the character string.  It should list FTDI's site as the main entry and you could try downloading one of the 232TL 5v Drivers and see if that resolves the issue.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, malc-c said:

The thing that is confusing me is there is an entry for a USB serial convertor and a USB Serial port, and the top set of images relate to the converter.  Most EQDIR cables just show up as a USB serial port with a single line entry in device manager.  You could always google the hardware ID (go to the details tab and select hardware ID from the drop down list, then copy and search for the character string.  It should list FTDI's site as the main entry and you could try downloading one of the 232TL 5v Drivers and see if that resolves the issue.

Mine shows up as two lines, one being a USB to serial converter....👍

• Like 1

Not sure if this will help, but I had the same issues, but when I actually opened my APT software and select mount and then EQMOD driver it worked fine, but testing with just the EQASCOM it would not work, so open your imaging software of choice and select EQMOD Ascom driver and try that ... 👍😀

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Not sure if this will help, but I had the same issues, but when I actually opened my APT software and select mount and then EQMOD driver it worked fine, but testing with just the EQASCOM it would not work, so open your imaging software of choice and select EQMOD Ascom driver and try that ... 👍😀

One thing that has often popped up on the EQMOD user group is that more than one instances of EQASCOM get launched by various applications, and (more applicable to windows 10) with differing levels of privileges, such as administrator rather than user.  

That's strange that you get two line entries as well.  With my FTDI based EQDIR cable I just get a single port listed in DM

FTDI.png.c9935ed89aa88472588e57c10faf101c.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, and I’ve just tried that after reinstalling both ASCOM and EQASCOM. I tried with both APT and Stellarium, no joy.

However, while failing to connect APT did add the error message ‘Class not registered’ but I have no idea what that means.

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

One thing that has often popped up on the EQMOD user group is that more than one instances of EQASCOM get launched by various applications, and (more applicable to windows 10) with differing levels of privileges, such as administrator rather than user.  

That's strange that you get two line entries as well.  With my FTDI based EQDIR cable I just get a single port listed in DM

FTDI.png.c9935ed89aa88472588e57c10faf101c.png

With drivers I’m into things I truly don’t understand. I’m using Windows 7, is there a way of safely clearing existing drivers out to perhaps reinstall them? 

UPDATE

OK, I think I’ve found the problem and it’s physical.

Yes I have a Lynx EQDIR cable, but looking back at my order from FLO I think it’s this one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-az-gti-mounts.html

when it should have been this one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

DOH! Feeling pretty dumb atm. 

Just hoping that this won’t have damaged the mount board... is that possible?

Hopefully the motor board will be OK.  Just plug your handset in and check it still responds and you can move the scope.  If there is a problem have a read of this thread.... https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351363-any-ideas-on-repairing-a-slightly-blown-motor-board/  so far I've managed to fix 3 out of 4 motor boards (mainly for DOBS) plus my on HEQ5 board, and that forth board is still a work in progress!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Hopefully the motor board will be OK.  Just plug your handset in and check it still responds and you can move the scope.  If there is a problem have a read of this thread.... https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351363-any-ideas-on-repairing-a-slightly-blown-motor-board/  so far I've managed to fix 3 out of 4 motor boards (mainly for DOBS) plus my on HEQ5 board, and that forth board is still a work in progress!

Everything seems absolutely fine. The handset initialises and goes through its usual lat-long, time and date inputs, and the motors respond as expected. Beyond that I can’t really check built-in alignment routines. 
Thanks for your help - hopefully all will work smoothly once I get hold of the right cable 👍

• Like 1
On 07/12/2020 at 15:37, Ade Turner said:

Everything seems absolutely fine. The handset initialises and goes through its usual lat-long, time and date inputs, and the motors respond as expected. Beyond that I can’t really check built-in alignment routines. 
Thanks for your help - hopefully all will work smoothly once I get hold of the right cable 👍

This is the one I use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085WT9VZ6/ref=afx_dp_prime_egress?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh

• Like 1

Might not be the issue but when I first started using eqmod with an AZEQ6 I had a similar time out issue with my laptop,  it turned out that the USB ports were being turned off to save power..  for me the fix was...  Control Panel, Device Manager,  Properties  and then for each USB port disable power management 

HTH

Dave

• Like 1
On 09/12/2020 at 10:02, Jm1973 said:

Thanks for the recommendation, but I’ve already ordered this one, just waiting for it to arrive 👍😁:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

I’m hoping that it I really is just the wrong cable causing the connection issue. If it continues once I install the ‘right’ cable I might just start to pull out what’s left of my hair.

• Like 1
On 09/12/2020 at 10:21, Laurin Dave said:

Might not be the issue but when I first started using eqmod with an AZEQ6 I had a similar time out issue with my laptop,  it turned out that the USB ports were being turned off to save power..  for me the fix was...  Control Panel, Device Manager,  Properties  and then for each USB port disable power management 

HTH

Dave

That’s interesting, thanks. I’ll investigate that if it carries on once I get the correct cable installed 👍

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ade Turner
      Now I’ve managed to sort out control of my EQ6-R Pro using Stellarium via EQASCOM, I’m working my way through the other equipment I want to control from my Windows 7 laptop.
      I’m stuck trying to get my Celestron focuser to be recognised. This is what I’ve done so far:
      Downloaded the Celestron Focuser Utility Program (.exe file) from here: https://www.celestron.com/pages/manuals-software Also downloaded the December 2019 USB ASCOM driver set up from above. I ran the ASCOM driver set up and restarted the laptop. Connected focuser direct to laptop via USB. The focuser’s power light shows red and in Windows control panel it recognises the device as ‘Celestron Focuser’ but indicates no driver present. Ran the Celestron focuser utility program hoping it would connect and install the right driver so I could calibrate, but it can’t detect the focuser at all. Finally, ran APT to see if I could connect by choosing the ASCOM driver under ‘Gear’ but this doesn’t work either. Stuck now. I’m guessing I need to somehow ‘tell’ Windows where the driver is...? 
      Any thoughts? Thanks everyone
      🙂

EDIT: I have previously had this focuser working correctly both with StarSense handset and via ASCOM (Celestron unified driver) through the aux on my old Evolution mount. However, now I’ve changed to a Sky-Watcher mount, I need it to function direct through USB.
    • By alexbb
      It seems that I got less active lately in this hobby, mostly due to the pandemic, directly or indirectly.
      However, I'm planning to move from where I'm living now in the close future so I started replacing my gear with lighter and better items.
      One of the items was the mount. I still have a tuned SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5 and a stock SkyWatcher EQ6-R. I used both quite a lot, I passed with them long time ago 1000h of exposure. And recently I bought an iOptron GEM45.
      The AZ-EQ5 is in the lightweight mount class, but performs quite poor for astrophotography. The original RA worm was a crappy one and I sent the mount to DarkFrame for tuning. I received it back the same, I only lost time and money. I then purchased 2 new worms from China via OVL with some help from FLO. The new one (I didn't test both) have a larger PE than the original one, but a smoother one. The p2p PE of the new worm results in a >60" deviation. When pointing close to the NCP, it guides well below <1.0" total RMS. When pointing towards the celestial equator, the performance drops significantly to 1.0"-1.8" RMS. I always need to use short exposures in PHD to guide it smoother.
      In total I spent for the AZ-EQ5 perhaps more than 1800 euros with the tuning, the new worms and deliveries. A lot pricier than stock in the end, but it still has 2 big advantages: mine came with a foldable (towards the mount) pier style tripod and it's light, I can carry the mount with the tripod folded in one hand. The mount and the tripod weight less than 15kg. The other advantage is that I can use the second saddle for the second scope. I used this combo more than a couple of times, with short focal length refractors and all went well. A SW 72ED + an ASI1600 + a finder/guider mounted as counterweight as close as possible to the RA axis, perfectly balances a SW Esprit 80 and a Canon 550D.
      The EQ6-R is a lot heavier mount. The head itself weights about 17.7kg, it has a handle, but even standalone it seems a lot harder to carry than the AZ-EQ5 assembled on the tripod. The 2" tripod for the EQ6-R weights about 8kg. Definitely I cannot carry both the mount and the tripod in a single trip for a longer distance. The performance and weight capacity are decent though. Mine has quite a large backlash on both axis, I cannot feel it at hand, but it's obvious when slewing at slow speed. It doesn't bother me for imaging, anyway, since I balance the mount a little east heavy. At most I put a single 200/1200 newtonian and camera on it or a dual setup consisting of a 150/750 newtonian and + a 102/714 refractor and camera, one on top of the other. Weight was not an issue, but a larger momentum + wind affected the guiding performance a little. Towards the NCP it guided excellent at 0.4"-0.6" RMS, but closer to the celestial equator, the performance varied and dropped for this mount too. On Orion, at times the guiding stayed below 1.0" total RMS, but many times it went worse than 1" total RMS. I believe that I never put a scope on this mount and looked through it, I only used it for AP. One thing that bothered me for a while was that the mount was stalling at times due to insufficient power. None of my domestic 12V power sources that I used for the AZ-EQ5 was good enough so I used a 15V 8A source to power the mount. I recall paying around 1300-1400 euros for the mount about 2 years ago.
      I used the SynScan app on Windows to drive the SkyWatcher mounts. The app mimics the functionality of the hand remote. The AZ-EQ5 doesn't have a polar scope and I believe I never used precisely the polar scope on the EQ6-R either. The app allows you to perform a 2/3 star align, then it figures out the polar error and you can then perform a polar alignment routine aided by the software. You can select a star for polar alignment, slew to it automatically after select, align in center, then the mount moves a little and the software tells you to adjust the altitude and bring the star in center, then it moves again and tells you to adjust the azimuth and bring the star in center. Simple as that. If you're way off initially with the polar alignment, you might need to realign once or twice again. The SynScan app + drivers are also much simpler than the EQASOM and can be used for controlling the mount from other programs via ASCOM or for pulse guiding.
      Now, to the more recently acquired mount, the iOptron GEM45. I spent a lot of time researching what mount would suit my needs. Lightweight, good performance and not astronomically expensive. After many reviews read for the CEM40, I decided to go for the GEM45 as both share the same components. I only saw CEM60's and the older 45 eq. All my astrofriends' CEM60's perform better and more consistent than my EQ6-R.
      The GEM45 is supposed to have a PE resulting in an error less than 14" p2p. The graph for mine says that it's less than 10".
      The first thing that I noticed when I received the mount it was how small the box it came in was. The mount head is light at about 7kg and the tripod 5-7kg. The second thing that I noticed was what a poor design was made for mounting the mount's head on the tripod. It is unbelievably stupid compared to the SkyWatcher mounts and it's horribly difficult to mount and tighten the mount on the tripod in dark and cold.
      Again, comparing to the SkyWatcher, a minus is that you always need to disengage very carefully the gear switches and never leave them engaged. The mount does not have a friction clutch as the SkyWatcher has and hitting or pushing hard the components can lead to damaging the gears. So the mount seems very sensible to handling, it requires a lot of care and mounting the telescope(s) on the mount while holding the CW rod with the other hand can be quite damn hard sometimes. However, there is no backlash.
      After setting all the hardware, the next thing was to connect the remote control + the software. It was clear the day I received the mount. It arrived at 5PM and at 8PM I was out of the city with all the software installed.
      The iPolar was easy to use, however, you need to connect a separate USB cable for this, the mount does not have a USB hub.
      You can perform a star align from the hand controller, but not from the Commander app. You can perform a polar iterate align from the hand controller, but not from the Commander.
      Speaking of star alignment, if you choose a 2 or 3 star alignment procedure, I was used to the fact that the first star can be way off when initiating the alignment. The SkyWatcher mounts' software (hand controller or PC app) took into account the error and corrected it for the next stars. iOptron's software (hand controller only, the PC Commander can't align at all) does not. So you need to search again for the second (and third) star to bring it into the view and center it. Only then the model is taken into account. Moreover, the polar iterate align is a pain and, surprise, the polar iterate align and a retry of star alignment after polar adjustment does not take into account the model it computed at the previous star alignment so all the stars are way off if the zero position is not set very accurate. Searching automatically for zero position seems rather a poor joke. So, after being used to the SkyWatcher software, the iOptron seems soooo limited and counterintuitive.
      Due to this, I had quickly to learn to drift align with PHD when Polaris isn't visible (it my the case at home on the terrace).
      Leaving all the poor engineering and software designs, things are getting better. The mount looks very nice and rotates around both axes very very smooth. You can also pull cables through the RA and DEC axis and have them available at the DEC saddle. There's only a USB 2.0 connector on the saddle, that was rather useless for me so I needed to pull a USB 3.0 cable. However, the 12V power available on the saddle is very welcomed to power the cameras' coolers.
      As I type, I'm imaging with 2 ~70mm refractors one on top of the other + 2 mono ASI cameras. Both scopes weight about 10kg. Guiding performance is always below 1.0" total RMS, ranging between 0.4" and 0.8" total RMS, regardless of the pointing position on the sky. If I manage to convince either the mount or PHD to compensate for the PE, I believe it should perform much better as the error increases to >0.6" only when the guiding switches from East to West or viceversa. Plus, being backlash free, it responses very fast to dithering commands and settles quick and, with the small refractors, it didn't seem bothered almost at all by a mild wind.
      In the end, I'm very happy with the consistent very good performance of the mount, but still disappointed by the mount attachment to the tripod and the poor designed software and alignment procedures.

I'll come back with more reviews for cameras and telescopes that I own or owned. And images, after I manage to process them. I've more than 100h of data waiting in the queue to be processed.

Clear skies and stay safe!
      Alex
    • By williamnohair
      Hi
      am posting this in case it helps anyone who has suffered the same problem as myself.
      In a nutshell: Own a Skywatcher Gti mount for some time now and used with some success, also purchased some time ago Skysafari and wanted to use both, with a problem much reported on the web and so much information out there that it can get a bit confusing and certainly in my case frustrating, after all just want stuff to work!
      After much experimenting and help from other postings this is what happens when you fire up the Gti.
      The mount generates its own wireless network and becomes the gateway, its IP address is always 192.168.4.1 you see this when making a connection with the Synscan app/program, its very similar to a normal router that serves you the Internet. Any device that then connects to this network then gets an assigned address one up from this, i.e. 192.168.4.2, .3, etc. However if you run the Safari app and go in to settings you will find it has also been allocated an address which is one up from the device you are using. In my case my Ipad was connected to the wireless network and had been given the address of  192.168.4.3.  but when I checked the IP address in the settings page of SkySafari it was 192.168.4.4 !
      If you accept this you get the error that the app cannot join the wireless network check your settings etc. If you now manually change that address to the same as the device running the Synscan app in my case .2 it should connect and work. However there is a caveat to this, I tried using an Iphone  4 and an old Ipad and they would not work together no matter what. I got the other error message that I had joined the network but the mount did not recognise the device type I had selected (Skywatcher Synscan Alt Az GoTo) and no amount of changing things would solve it. To get around this I used my trusty Win 7 laptop to run the Synscan program and things worked perfectly so it can be done don't give up!
      Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps someone out there. So to round off when you fire up the mount it becomes address no 1, any physical device gets the next address 2, any software running on the that device gets the next address 3. When you fire up SkySafari it must have the same address as the one that the SynScan app has got and this can e changed in SkySafari settings. None of this makes any sense to me as I thought software couldn't act in that way but there you are. I hope I have got this right feel free to contact me if things don't work

Regards

Bill

• By morayskies
      Hi All
      Has anybody else had this problem?
      I use a single, ageing laptop (HP620 8Gb RAM) running Windows 7 Pro 64bit to control my imaging setup using the following software;
      Cartes du Ciel and EQMOD to control EQ5 Pro mount via EQDIRECT cable connected via powered USB Hub
      BackyardEOS to capture images from Canon 450D via same USB powered hub
      PHD2 for guiding using GP-CAM 130C and EQMOD pulse guiding
      What confuses me is that some evenings everything works absolutely fine.  Another evening, using exactly the same hardware, software and even connections (ie I always plug the leads into the same ports) the system will be working fine but then suddenly fail.  The failure affects EQMOD indicating a timeout or port not available issue and the Canon 450D also 'locks' requiring a restart of the camera and BackyardEOS.
      I have run USBTree during such a failure and it is showing that the EQDIRECT cable (ie serial converter) is still connected to COM4 (which is correct) and the Canon 450D is also still connected.  I basically have to ensure that all the software is closed and any associated services also stopped.  Of course, the scope is now pointing away from its home position so I have to move it manually back to 'home' before starting again.
      My thoughts are that there could be a number of issues;
      1. Use of a USB hub
      2. A dodgy EQDIRECT cable
      3. USB cables too long (ie about 5m)
      4. Windows is turning off a connection (I have set the power management for each USB port to 'off')
      5. Canon 450D somehow 'freezing'

When using this laptop, I turn off the Wifi and Anti Virus and Automatic Updates are also off.
      It just baffles me that sometimes this system works flawlessly for hours and yet other nights it keeps failing.
      Any suggestions gratefully received.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By Fieldsy
      Hi guys me again
      So if you connect laptop direct to synscan box using handset port how do you select a target to start imaging?.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.