Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observation pier.

I have on order a Paragon Plus p-mount for Helios II 20x80 binoculars. I've just discovered the p-mount weighs 5.5kg, nearly the weight limit of my (photo) tripod, so started thinking of making a more substantial tripod. I then reasoned I could make a permanent observation pier (I think that's what you call them) somewhat easier. I am lucky, not only to live under dark skies, but to live on a small farm, so bar keeping sheep away I'm laughing.

What would be an ideal design for a binocular observation post? I thought of just concreting a steel post (a bit of railway track?) into the ground, with a plate welded on top with the appropriate mounting bolt in situ. Would this suffice?

When it comes to locating the pier I am thinking of heading to the highest field which looks south, well away from barn roofs etc. I would need to locate in the middle of the field as my hedgerows contain quite a few mature trees, which would obscure low views. Is there anything else I need to consider?

edit: I've now found an old Acrow prop, and am thinking I could weld the inner extender to the outer tube, and concrete 70cm in the ground, with a couple of bars through the tube at base level, to tie it all in. With, say, 1.7m above ground I'm hoping it won't flex, but have no idea what will be acceptable.

Edited by gadusmorhua
new ideas