Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Howdy from Allen, TX

RiderRoy

Howdy!

Very new to astronomy. 

My bride and I have been doing some backyard viewing for the last few months using the little NT114Cf Newtonian. We've decided that we would like to turn the small fuzzy dots into slightly larger less fuzzy dots so we have an 8" Dobsonian on the way and have acquired a Celestron 130slt while we wait. Astronomy on a budget. 

Looking forward to learning from the astronomy vets in this community. 

Thanks!

Roy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Neighbor.

The National Geography 114 mm reflector is a good instrument.  Of course, your new 8-inch Dobsonian and even the 130mm reflector will gather more light for you. The stars are not going to get amazingly bigger.  The advantages will be in what the larger telescopes will reveal in deep sky objects and close-ups of the planets. 

Before you buy much more stuff, visit this board and some others and ask around. You will get a lot of opinons, often contradictory, though as a group, they will help steer you clear of choices you might not otherwise have made. The markets here are small. So, above some basic floor, there is no junk. That said, though, little more money or a different manufacturer or an alternate pairing might deliver for you an experience more aligned to your expectations. 

Allen is in the suburbs. How far are you from Connemara or a similar dark sky site?  Have you found your local astronomy club yet:

https://www.go-astronomy.com/astro-clubs-state.php?State=TX

And what books do you have? (When entering new territory, it always helps to have a native guide.)

Our local club brings us an automatic membership in the Astronomical League. Some folks here are hot in pursuit of long lists of targets. Myself, I am not. That said, though, the AL lists of targets do show you what is available and what can be fun and rewarding. It is easy to talk of nebulas and galaxies and there's lots of those among the many other interesting bodies.

Edited by mikemarotta

• 2 weeks later...