Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Keep or Move On Dilemna

OK,

I have three scopes, Skymax127, Dob200P and a small heritage 100P, but I'm finding the Skymax127 is getting the use, I struggle with the Dob200P to move about and store easily, the 100P not really in the discussion as I tend to take on business trips with me

My question really is what am I losing if I drop the 200P and focus my attention and cash going forward on the 127, I'm fairly fair weather nowadays, work and life takes up too much of my time so it's back yard observing with occasional dark site trips where the Dob is not getting transported at all

I have dew heaters, AZ5 mount and a AZ GTI Wifi Goto plus Skywatcher battery pack so dew and stability pretty covered (Although have a bit of shake when focussing - haven't upgraded that and not sure how to!)

The 200P has a telrad and an upgraded 10:1 focusser

I know about the aperture envy and wanting bigger and I have looked at flex tubes every now and again but reality is I probably wouldn't use it enough and it would just be a tick on the astronomy purchase list - that happens to me too much! 

What are my interests, love planets so that's OK, clusters, double stars, fascinated by nebulae but at the end of the day I'm not spending a great deal of time at dark sky sites - SO what am I losing if I drop the 200P!

All advice appreciated

Sounds like the Skyliner 200 does not suit you and the 127 Mak does suit you.

Maybe time to thin the collection ?

The skyliner will give a little more brightness on DSO’s and a little more planetary resolution on nights of good seeing, but comfort and ease of use is very important when we are out and that is where the Mak wins.

Maybe sell the 127 and 200 and get a C6 SCT ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Sounds like the Skyliner 200 does not suit you and the 127 Mak does suit you.

Maybe time to thin the collection ?

The skyliner will give a little more brightness on DSO’s and a little more planetary resolution on nights of good seeing, but comfort and ease of use is very important when we are out and that is where the Mak wins.

Maybe sell the 127 and 200 and get a C6 SCT ?

Now then you're adding a new dimension....change them both........C6 or a Frac?

23 hours ago, DavidJM said:

Now then you're adding a new dimension....change them both........C6 or a Frac?

If you plan to sell both the mak and newt for a frac, you will lose a lot on the aperture unless you're willing to splash out substantially more cash for a big one.

A C6 or 6" dob seems like an ideal middle ground for you.

If you'd like to give it a try with a frac for non-obstructed views, you can sell the 100p, AZ5 mount and combine the money with the spare from the previous sales for a small ED doublet (e.g. WO ZS71) which should ride nicely on the AZ GTi and be compact enough for your business trips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP82 said:

If you plan to sell both the mak and newt for a frac, you will lose a lot on the aperture unless you're willing to splash out substantially more cash for a big one.

A C6 or 6" dob seems like an ideal middle ground for you.

If you'd like to give it a try with a frac for non-obstructed views, you can sell the 100p, AZ5 mount and combine the money with the spare from the previous sales for a small ED doublet (e.g. WO ZS71) which should ride nicely on the AZ GTi and be compact enough for your business trips.

Thanks, the Dob is my issue really, I'm just not using it, have seriously thought about selling the dob and 100P and getting something like a 71/80ED; the AZ5 works well with the MAK127, using a telrad helps with the small fov and it really is pretty smooth to adjust with no shake; if I did get the small frac it may lead to upgrading to the C6 and selling the Mak127!

• 2 weeks later...

I had an 8" Dob in which I moved with a hand cart.

I also had clips on the cart to hold my gear bag and even a chair.

It was nice because I could make it out in one trip.

I did end up selling, however, I now miss it.

Just my 2 cents, something to think about.