SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR to OSC to mono

Ken82

I thought Id do a quick comparison of the results between using my modified dslr and mono camera. 

I had been using a modified canon 6d for a few years and I was very pleased with the results which is probably why I was reluctant to move to a mono cam.  I do recall Andy Ellis (who modified the camera) saying to me the 6d is unbeatable which I think is true in terms of DSLR's. I will never part with my 6d as it stands its just great!

When Zwo finally declared they were releasing a full frame  mono cam I realised maybe this is the time to change so a promptly put myself on the list.

When the camera arrived I started with some galaxies as Leo was high in the sky. Results were good, read noise etc were as expected. BUT it wasn't until I turned to the nebulas later in the year i could fully appreciate the difference. 

So here is a comparing image. I think 2-2.5hrs HA 7nm baader Canon 6d. 1.5hrs HA 3nm chroma  Asi 6200

Now I appreciate there are a few differences in the kit. No doubt the 3nm contributed here and the set point cooling maybe more so?? But in terms of picking up HA wavelength the QE of the camera and the difference without a Bayer matrix  is amazing.

Ken 

6dcrop.thumb.JPG.59c2fed7978aab0448cfce6e83617338.JPGcrop.thumb.JPG.590aae56b7f044cf9c68f6a1436f02e7.JPG

1280824764_6dfull.thumb.JPG.81f870ab41c5b83bf91a339da9655e3a.JPG

2105726608_monoful.thumb.JPG.202beb82376aabfa853fdc67840caed2.JPG

To be fair to the 6D though it was never even designed for astronomy imaging, it's a day time Landscape Photography Camera which has had to have it's innards taken out to even pick up enough Ha, and then there isn't one fan inside it to keep it cool when it's being pushed to it's extremes in terms of multiple long exposure shots over several hours a time.

I think it's obvious which is going to be the better Camera for astrophotography - the one that is an astrophotography camera.

That said, if your skies are dark enough, the results from a DSLR with fast optics can be all you'd ever need. Maurice Toet's images exemplify that.

11 hours ago, smr said:

To be fair to the 6D though it was never even designed for astronomy imaging, it's a day time Landscape Photography Camera which has had to have it's innards taken out to even pick up enough Ha, and then there isn't one fan inside it to keep it cool when it's being pushed to it's extremes in terms of multiple long exposure shots over several hours a time.

I think it's obvious which is going to be the better Camera for astrophotography - the one that is an astrophotography camera.

That said, if your skies are dark enough, the results from a DSLR with fast optics can be all you'd ever need. Maurice Toet's images exemplify that.

Yea I’ve got to agree, the 6d was especially good at RGB targets. 

I’m going to hang onto it and maybe take it on the odd holiday etc. Great camera