Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Howie Glatter collimation

I’m going to get the 2” Howie Glatter standard laser for collimation of my dob. 

A couple of questions first please -

The standard brightness should be sufficient as I don’t think I’d plan to collimate during daylight ? 

The laser itself is great to collimate the secondary but to collimate the primary I’d need to remove the laser and add a TuBLug ?

Thanks 

ken 

The most important thing when using a laser for collimation is that the laser itself is collimated. With a glatter you can be sure that it is.

With that settled, as you say, you can collimate the secondary by “hitting the centre of the primary”.

you can then still use the same setup to collimate the primary by observing where the reflected laser-spot return hits the face of the laser, and adjusting the primary until that return dot is on top of the laser hole. But that only really gets you roughly there.

a much better way, after doing the secondary, is to put a Barlow in front of the laser, observing where the SHADOW of the primary’s donut returns to the laser-face, and centring that. You may need to use a piece of paper to see where that shadow falls in front of the focuser tube, that’s what I use.

so you can do it all with just the laser, reasonably accurately, and with a Barlow extremely accurately.

the tublug basically combines the whole thing into one unit.

cheers, Magnus

39 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

I’m going to get the 2” Howie Glatter standard laser for collimation of my dob. 

A couple of questions first please -

The standard brightness should be sufficient as I don’t think I’d plan to collimate during daylight ? 

The laser itself is great to collimate the secondary but to collimate the primary I’d need to remove the laser and add a TuBLug ?

Thanks 

ken 

I have one it’s great.

I have the 635mn which I think is the standard one and is bright enough.

Second question depends what type of scope you have.

I need to use the TuBlug for the Primary of my OO 10” because it’s a closed OTA.

I can avoid using the TuBlug to collimate the 16” Truss dob because I can see the bottom of the secondary whilst adjusting the primary, although I do tend to use it as I have one.

Edit

I only use it to tweak the secondary as it’s already very close, if I was doing a complete secondary collimation from scratch I’d use a Cheshire 

Edited by Scooot

39 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

I bought the replacement on/off dimmer switch for mine, bit expensive but really useful, also stops it turning itself on when in the bolt case 😄

Dave

Thanks all!

Yes i have a laser collimator already but it has been tested and isnt collimated accurately itself. 

So Ive gone with the Howie Galtter and Ive added a Tublug and the additional battery cap 👍

Thanks 

Ken 

• Like 2

My laser arrived today 😀

First impression is that it’s very very bright  I’m glad I didn’t opt for the extra bright version. Plus I have the dimmer switch on the way although that will likely take some time. 

As it’s a closed tube dob I’ve only been able to collimate the secondary but again I also have the tublug on order. 

So looking good so far 😀

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Interesting I’ve noticed the packaging says feathertouch focusers Howie Glatter. I didn’t know they were connected ? 

I can’t recall exactly but I think Starlight Instruments took over after Howie Glatter sadly passed away a few years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Piero said:

The HG's a great laser collimator. Congratulations!

I use mine with the 1mm attachment. I also have the tublug but only use it when feeling lazy.

I think the 1mm attachment comes as standard ? Is that the white disk fitted to the front ? 

Just now, Ken82 said:

I think the 1mm attachment comes as standard ? Is that the white disk fitted to the front ? 

Yes, that is the one. See: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/howie-glatter-collimation-tools/howie-glatter-single-beam-2-inch-laser.html 

There are other attachments for more exotic collimations, but the 1mm is the one you need really.

I have the 650nm version which is fine for collimation in the night. You can use the 635nm which is fine for day time collimation, or night time using a brightness reducer. 

• 1 month later...