Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Switching quickly between camera and eyepiece

Is there a device that would allow me to quickly change between a camera and eyepiece on a telescope without having to dismantle the gubbins, like a splitter or something?
Would a OAG attachment do this or is there something better.

It’s for a 10” dob which I usually only use for visual (camera normally on Starguider) but I occasionally see something that I fancy getting a snap of but get fed up with changing everything over/refocusing etc. 

Many thanks and apologies if there is something obvious I didn’t see on FLO!

That's quite a compact one, certainly (Vixen do a cheaper model as far as I recall, but it's longer).  However, with a dob it's possible you might still struggle for sufficient backfocus to get the camera and eyepiece to focus.  Unfortunately it may be that the only way to find out is to try it.

James

39 minutes ago, Dodgypengui said:

Yeah. I can only get it to focus with a Barlow on the dob at the moment. I would imagine this would still be the case even with this additional length. Going to try it. 

Sadly, the extra length is only going to make things worse, so you may not be able to get focus even with a Barlow. 

There are a number of ways around this problem.  A shorter T-adapter might work depending on how much extra travel you need.  Or a lower-profile focuser.  Perhaps the most intrusive is to move the mirror up the tube by enough to achieve the backfocus required, which may possibly be combined with using a larger secondary mirror.

James

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2020 at 12:59, gilesco said:

That reminds me somewhat of a S.L.R. medium format camera, without lens viewfinder and film holder.

ZENZA BRONICA SQ-A 6x6 CAMERA WORKING WITH EXTRAS +80MM & 50MM LENS-A/F -  FUNGAS - £500.00 | PicClick UK

Edited by Nicola Hannah Butterfield

Not sure if you now have the flip mirror or not but just to say I bought this one from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for £60 delivered  and it’s brilliant with my SCT.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Omegon-Syncfocus-flip-mirror-planetary-cameras/dp/B01IQOI8CI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Astronomical+flip+mirror&qid=1607622016&sr=8-1

Edited by Moonshed