SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SHOW US A PIC OF YOURSELF WITH YOUR FIRST TELESCOPE

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

What a bunch of cool cats! Did you start a band by any chance Mark?

It actually started me thinking about how long ago it was when people actually wore ties when they were "off duty", as it were.  My maternal grandfather was a fitter at Scunthorpe steel works and to the best of my recollection wore overalls to work, but I'm fairly sure he had a shirt and tie on underneath.  And when he was at home he still wore a shirt and tie, often with a pair of metal "suspenders" to stop the sleeves riding down his wrists, and almost always with a cardigan (pipe in one pocket, baccy tin and matches in the other).

But then I recalled the owner of a local farm where I look after a few beehives.  I'd guess he is in his late 50s or early 60s at the most and still wears a shirt and tie even when working on the farm.  He must be close to the last of a dying breed :)

James

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JamesF said:

It actually started me thinking about how long ago it was when people actually wore ties when they were "off duty", as it were.  My maternal grandfather was a fitter at Scunthorpe steel works and to the best of my recollection wore overalls to work, but I'm fairly sure he had a shirt and tie on underneath.  And when he was at home he still wore a shirt and tie, often with a pair of metal "suspenders" to stop the sleeves riding down his wrists, and almost always with a cardigan (pipe in one pocket, baccy tin and matches in the other).

But then I recalled the owner of a local farm where I look after a few beehives.  I'd guess he is in his late 50s or early 60s at the most and still wears a shirt and tie even when working on the farm.  He must be close to the last of a dying breed :)

James

If Netflix The Crown is to belived one family still does even at breakfast. 

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Will be giddy ? 😀 You sound so excited already I think you may explode !:blob7:

Fingers crossed for you to get some nice clear skies for that first light !

Heather

Heh heh... Is it that obvious? 😀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, andrew s said:

If Netflix The Crown is to belived one family still does even at breakfast.

I can actually imagine the Queen at breakfast in a tie and cardigan, packing her first pipe of the day.  I bet Philip would have more hair if it weren't for her tapping the previous contents of the bowl out on his head.

James

• Haha 3

Not sure if this counts, but this really is my first telescope. I recall that I whacked another kid over the head with it, but that's another story!

Over 50  years ago, Gara Rock, Devon.

50660299297_cba3b38e40_z.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, lukebl said:

Not sure if this counts, but this really is my first telescope. I recall that I whacked another kid over the head with it, but that's another story!

Over 50  years ago, Gara Rock, Devon.

50660299297_cba3b38e40_z.jpg

Posting that picture got me thinking about the location and what it looks like now after half a century.

I did a Google search and amazingly found a contemporary photograph from almost exactly the same location. Nice to see it hasn't changed at all.

50660289516_9545ca9d86_h.jpg

• Like 12

I can't find pics of my first two telescopes (60- mm Tasco refractor, then a 6-inch Fullerscopes Newtonian on MkIII equatorial. Below is a pic of my third telescope I had from 1978 to 1992, a 10-inch Newtonian. 

I also attach a 1977 pic from the local paper showing a few chums (I am far left) building our school observatory during EIIR's Silver Jubilee year. The telescope was built around a 14-inch Calver mirror and was designed by Commander Henry Hatfield of the BAA. Our Physics master, Dr John Garrood, designed and oversaw the construction of the 14 ft dome. We did all the manual work, usually will more enthusiasm and skill. But we learned a lot in the process.

1640311558_10inchNewtonianJHS.jpg.019c85fb3ba85f40fe10da12a910dc1e.jpg

1756826957_SevenoaksSchoolObsy.jpg.cf5dfebd5ecdd5ca54f647a91cd55133.jpg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, lukebl said:

I did a Google search and amazingly found a contemporary photograph from almost exactly the same location. Nice to see it hasn't changed at all.

That's because for many places out this way, it still is fifty years ago :)

James

• Like 1

There are no pictures of me with any of my telescopes. There aren't very many pictures of me without a telescope from my childhood or early teens when I got my first usable telescope, the Dixon's own brand 60mm refractor. I don't even have a picture of that scope on its own .

One way to get rid of me is point a camera in my direction... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I can't find pics of my first two telescopes (60- mm Tasco refractor, then a 6-inch Fullerscopes Newtonian on MkIII equatorial. Below is a pic of my third telescope I had from 1978 to 1992, a 10-inch Newtonian. 

I also attach a 1977 pic from the local paper showing a few chums (I am far left) building our school observatory during EIIR's Silver Jubilee year. The telescope was built around a 14-inch Calver mirror and was designed by Commander Henry Hatfield of the BAA. Our Physics master, Dr John Garrood, designed and oversaw the construction of the 14 ft dome. We did all the manual work, usually will more enthusiasm and skill. But we learned a lot in the process.

1640311558_10inchNewtonianJHS.jpg.019c85fb3ba85f40fe10da12a910dc1e.jpg

1756826957_SevenoaksSchoolObsy.jpg.cf5dfebd5ecdd5ca54f647a91cd55133.jpg

Love those flares!

• Like 2

Like many on here, I don't have any pictures of me with a telescope, and not even many pictures of me without a telescope. I guess because in nearly all my pictures, I was behind the lens. I did manage to find this picture of my first telescope without me. It's a Tasco reflector (I think 100mm) bought in (I think) 1975 as a birthday present, although the picture was taken in 2006. It had two 0.965" eyepieces, a barlow, and sun and moon filters. It gave very clear images as I recall, but the finder was pretty useless and the mount was oh so wobbly.

IMAG0002.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Seelive said:

My first telescope became the finder on my third and last. This was taken around 1982, sadly I no longer have either nor the observatory they were house in.

2014-05-05_0.JPG.3c1de98b5f0d29a3867e29e70c65d643.JPG

That's an absolute beast of a mount!

James

8 minutes ago, JamesF said:

That's an absolute beast of a mount!

James

Apart from the optics (mirrors by the late Astronomical Equipment and Plossel eyepieces by Clave), everything else was home designed and built, including the observatory and the stepper motor drive electronics. It took about 2 years to put it all together with all the precision machining done using the facilities available at an evening class at the local college mainly used by model steam engine enthusiasts.

• Like 2

I had a couple of small refractors when I were a kid but alas no Box Brownie photos of them. Fast forward to May 2018 and my pride and joy the Skywatcher 12 inch Dobsonian.

May is autumn Downunder, hence the lawn covered in leaves...

20180527_143949.thumb.jpg.680bafd358d1948df93f1dca5196a853.jpg

• Like 15

I've come across this photo (scanned from a print) from 20 years ago of me with my brand new TAL100RT. I bought this new in February 2000 as a 40th birthday present for myself having managed nearly a decade without a decent scope after our children arrived. I think it cost £250 delivered from Siberia.

They supplied the scopes in huge custom made wooden trunks back then. Rather like a coffin !

Fine scope that TAL was :smiley:

taljohn0004.jpg.c12e92bf700dc7bf0fb61a86b36e2fc4.jpg

• Like 13

On 30/11/2020 at 08:29, Geoff Barnes said:

I had a couple of small refractors when I were a kid but alas no Box Brownie photos of them. Fast forward to May 2018 and my pride and joy the Skywatcher 12 inch Dobsonian.

May is autumn Downunder, hence the lawn covered in leaves...

20180527_143949.thumb.jpg.680bafd358d1948df93f1dca5196a853.jpg

Don't look now, but Bill Oddie has stolen your telescope!

James

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Don't look now, but Bill Oddie has stolen your telescope!

James

He'll bring it back quick enough when he finds out everything's upside-down - no good for twitchers!

Edit: on second thoughts, EVERYTHING is upside down in Aus so he'd be ok

Edited by wulfrun

On 29/11/2020 at 15:29, MrFreeze said:

Like many on here, I don't have any pictures of me with a telescope, and not even many pictures of me without a telescope. I guess because in nearly all my pictures, I was behind the lens. I did manage to find this picture of my first telescope without me. It's a Tasco reflector (I think 100mm) bought in (I think) 1975 as a birthday present, although the picture was taken in 2006. It had two 0.965" eyepieces, a barlow, and sun and moon filters. It gave very clear images as I recall, but the finder was pretty useless and the mount was oh so wobbly.

IMAG0002.JPG

that tv is massive 🤣

• Like 1