SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2020 S3 Erasmus

mcrowle

Has anyone seen or imaged Comet C/2020 S3 Erasmus?

According to Spaceweather.com, it's currently visible low in the SE at dawn, about magnitude 7. Unfortunately, although it is expected to brighten over coming days it quickly becomes more challenging to see due to still lower elevation and the proximity of the Sun.

Of course the weather has not been helpful of late, though it was clear this morning so I fear I may have missed an opportunity! Still, the forecast for Sunday morning looks good so I plan to head to a local beach with a low horizon in the right direction.

There's a gallery on the comet on Spaceweather.com, and I must say I'm envious of those taken in Namibia! Spaceweather.com Realtime Image Gallery (spaceweathergallery.com).

Good luck and clear skies, all!

Regards, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 4

Looks like I won't be setting out to see Comet Erasmus after all.

Referring to theskylive.com, it will be half a degree below the horizon at the end of astronomical twilight and less than 4 degrees up by the end of nautical twilight from my location. Meanwhile the forecast of clear skies on Sunday morning has changed to high cloud and possibly mist, all with a nearly full Moon of course.

I hope that someone more suitably located can spot the comet!

Regards and clear skies. Mike.