SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rust spots on stainless steel

Astroscot2

To stop the keels of yachts rusting we use a product called 'Fertan'  https://www.fertan.co.uk/

I don't know what is in it but it converts rust to an inert product. Spray or brush it on - wait until it goes black - wash it off and paint it. Even iron keels immersed in salt water don't go rusty after treatment.

2 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

To stop the keels of yachts rusting we use a product called 'Fertan'  https://www.fertan.co.uk/

I don't know what is in it but it converts rust to an inert product. Spray or brush it on - wait until it goes black - wash it off and paint it. Even iron keels immersed in salt water don't go rusty after treatment.

Probably based on phosphoric acid then, rust goes black when it's exposed to it - it converts it to iron phosphate, which is black.

6 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Fertan MSDS:

812971693_FertanMSDS.JPG.1911c06a46a17d7fd9cd8fd83ccd1377.JPG

8 hours ago, Zermelo said:

Also sold as Jenolite, the second-most-useful item in the impecunious motorist's toolkit, after WD40. 
It made up 75% of my first car, by the time I had to get rid of it.   

So glad I moved to Texas 27 years ago.  I haven't had a spot of rust on any vehicle since.  It's really odd to see immaculate cars and trucks from the 60s and 70s in daily use around here.  Interior upholstery rots away in the sun here after 10 to 20 years, though.

14 minutes ago, Louis D said:

So glad I moved to Texas 27 years ago.  I haven't had a spot of rust on any vehicle since.  It's really odd to see immaculate cars and trucks from the 60s and 70s in daily use around here.  Interior upholstery rots away in the sun here after 10 to 20 years, though.

So, you get lots of cloudless nights, better transparency, you can leave your scope outside all the time, and nothing rusts.
But apart from all that, why be an astronomer in Texas ...? :Envy:

• Haha 1