SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New favourite eyepieces for grab and go binoviewer

Trentend

Finally had a chance to try out a pair of Denkmeier D14s in a Mak127 and Binotron binoviewer. Very happy with my current 32mm plossls and 24mm panoptics but always hankered after something with more magnification. Targets were the moon and Mars.

All I can say is wow the D14s were fantastic. Lunar views were noticeably brighter on all three power settings compared to the other eyepieces  (was not expecting that).  I was also anticipating high power to be a little washed out, as can be the case in the panoptics but they were actually the highlight of the evening. Apollo-like views.  Eye position was not quite as forgiving as the panoptics but not a problem if seated. The rubber wing guards on the D14s also made the viewing feel far more immersive. I really do need to get something similar for my other kit.

Mars was noticeably smaller than a few weeks ago but still very good, although less definition / no obvious polar markings. Think that ship has sailed.

Can’t wait to try these on Saturn and Jupiter...

• Like 1