SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice on fitting a rotator

I currently have a pretty robust setup that I am 95% happy with, and the main downside I am not happy with is that I cannot easily rotate the camera to change the FOV angle.

In theory on my Esprit Pro I can loosen the locking ring and adjust the angle but really I do not count this as a practical option.

Ideally if money was no object and I could fit one in without affecting the optical train I would love one with a motor that I can operate remotely but I do not think this is necessary as it is just something I need to do once in the night at start of a session so no big deal to do this manually.

• Is there a preferred rotator for this sort of setup that is particularly better than the rest ?
  • Where ideally is it placed in the optical train ?
    • Ideally for me would be between the FW and camera but then it is not ideal to have this distance any further than necessary.
    • If placed before the FW then I have a fairly big FW rotating as well which may mean it can hit the mount legs if in certain positions.
  • Can they introduce other issues such as tilt ?

1172835609_2019-10-07Esprit100ED.thumb.jpg.896021134ca9c16c6b58deda542dd9cd.jpg

Steve

I use an optec Pyxis LE rotator its 2"  nose piece forces me to put it directly into the focuser which is ideal fir my setup.  I would always go for having it before any reducer, filters etc so they move as a set reducing any shift between them.

I have not  noticed any tilt issues but my application is not sensitive to tilt.

Regards Andrew 

• Thanks 1