SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

F5 Newt Collimation Concerns.

I have a newt that I picked up a few months ago but haven't been able to use yet (cloud,:angryfire:), it's an F5 150mm A, 750mm F. I had a bigger newt that I didn't have problems collimating but this one I have been, I'm unsure if I've actually collimated it properly. I had read that the lower F number newts need to be more precise and are somewhat harder to collimate. Would appreciate some help.

We don't know what you have done and what equipment you have to collimate it - a bit more information will help us to help you.

Meantime - this is one of the best guides I have seen for collimating a newt - follow every step in the correct order - miss nothing out and you will end up with a very well collimated scope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

Is it this one ???

No

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

We don't know what you have done and what equipment you have to collimate it - a bit more information will help us to help you.

Meantime - this is one of the best guides I have seen for collimating a newt - follow every step in the correct order - miss nothing out and you will end up with a very well collimated scope.

I've tried collimating just like anyone else, I found a really good video and followed it. The collimation might be fine, I've just not had one this small before, to be fair it's only my second newt and I've only been doing the hobby a year next March. I own a HoTech laser that I used and a cheshire eye piece.

22 minutes ago, Scream said:

Just wasn't sure if I had proper collimation. When I user the focus all the way in I can see the mirror if that makes sense? The spider vanes etc.

That's pretty normal when you are far out-of-focus.  Can you get it to focus OK?

37 minutes ago, Pixies said:

That's pretty normal when you are far out-of-focus.  Can you get it to focus OK?

I've not been able to try because when it hasn't been cloudy I have been busy and when I'm not it is cloudy. Can I test it indoors some how?

12 hours ago, Scream said:

Can I test it indoors some how?

That's what your cheshire is for. Put the cheshire in the focuser and adjust the focuser so that you can

1. compare the positioning of the secondary to the edge of the cheshire. Is the secondary centred and circular?
  2. compare the location of the crosshair to the doughnut on the primary and the shadow of the eye hole in the cheshire. All three should align.

If you can get a photo of the colimation through the cheshire we may be able to advise you about collimation. 

My skywatcher Explorer 150P is an 750mm F5. To be honest I was worried about collimation. However with a Cheshire collimator it was painless. The most difficult being getting the secondary aligned under the focusser. That done the rest is simple . Personally I found laser hopeless as it wasn't aligned itself and doesn't help with that first step of centering the secondary. 

12 hours ago, Ricochet said:

That's what your cheshire is for. Put the cheshire in the focuser and adjust the focuser so that you can

1. compare the positioning of the secondary to the edge of the cheshire. Is the secondary centred and circular?
  2. compare the location of the crosshair to the doughnut on the primary and the shadow of the eye hole in the cheshire. All three should align.

If you can get a photo of the colimation through the cheshire we may be able to advise you about collimation. 

I'll have to do it do tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I absolutely messed the collimation up, The secondary mirror from the bottom of the scope looks too far over as there is a gap on one side and the other side no gap so no perfect gap around the cell. If It's totally f*£ked then I'll have to take the cell out and lock it back in and then start again.