Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ekos - Image Saving

Doug64

Hi,

I'm having a play around with my telescope and Ekos trying to remember what I used to do.

I can set up Ekos locally and can save the images onto the SSD attached to the RPI. 

I can also set up EKOS remotely from my laptop and save the images I take onto my laptop.

Is there a way that I can take an image and have it save both locally on the SSD and remotely on my laptop.  There is a setting for saving images both locally/remotely on Ekos but I cant get it to work.

When I am working locally and I set Ekos to save the images to both locations I cannot enter the location of my laptop drive.

Can anyone help with this, I just want to save an automatic backup of my images on my laptop.

Thanks

Doug

The remote/local saving thing is when you are either running EKOS/INDI on the PI and EKOS on another device like a PC.

If you have a Windows PC then download the Windows version of KStars. EKOS is in there and you use that to control INDI running on your PI. Then saving locally (the PI) and remotely (the PC) runs seamlessly.

If you have a Linux machine or Apple Mac you can download the respective version of KStars and use it in the same way.

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-edu/kstars/tool-ekos.html#:~:text=Connection Mode%3A Ekos can be,INDI server host and port.

https://www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/1050-how-to-use-local-and-remote-server-in-ekos.html

Edited by TerryMcK

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm running it how you advised earlier this year prior to my ill health, I think I've remembered how you advised me to do it.

I have a windows laptop so I open Ekos locally using the IP address for the RPI and connect all my equipment.  I then open another instance of Kstars/Ekos on my laptop and go into the RPI remotely.  Once this is done I set up imaging plan etc from my laptop.  I can then select the folder on my laptop where I want to save the images.  Where it says remote do I enter the folder on the PI where I also want the image to save on the PI or do I have to go back into the Pi locally and set this up.

Just cant remember how to do it.

Doug

Hi Doug, this is where there is sometimes confusion. Assuming the PI is connected to all the gear and is running. Local is where the INDI server, the PI in this case, is running. Remote is actually the windows laptop.

You can either fire up kstars/ekos on the PI or just fire up the INDI server (the pop out menu at the side is where that resides). In the latter case you have to make sure you have selected the equipment you have and started the INDI server.

From the windows laptop fire up KStars and EKOS connecting to the ip address of the PI as you have already done. Then just using EKOS on the Windows PC do your normal setup of your sequence. When in the camera part choose both local and remote storage. For local enter what is greyed out as a default. I think is says something like /home/pictures from memory. For remote enter a location like your pictures folder on the PC and all should be good. Sub directories will be created automatically in both locations. You only have to setup the sequence in one location. I always use the remote device to run EKOS. So I only ever use the PI to connect to the gear using INDI.

I normally get simultaneously quick downloads to the PC and direct to the PIs memory card although to be fair I am connected to the PI with a ethernet cable running at 1gbit. Wireless downloads can be slower dependent upon distance from the wireless access point.

Edited by TerryMcK