SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New to Astronomy - new Telescope

Good afternoon to everyone,

I am new to astronomy and with my daughter (11 yrs old - very interested in space and astronomy), we want to purchase our first telescope. My daughter is in that age where she is asking for a telescope to observe the vast space.

We are based in UK (Northampton) and i am looking to invest up to £300 for our first telescope. Ideally it should be a telescope that will allow us to observe the moon, Mars, Saturn in the best possible clarity that the price point will allow us. Also, if it is something that offers a GoTo option even better!

Not sure if i am asking for lot but, your support will be highly appreciated.

Based on my initial research, i have seen these but it does not mean i have to choose amongst these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zhumell-ZHUS002-1-Altazimuth-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B07BR6G589

http://skywatcher.com/product/bk-p1145-azgt/

http://skywatcher.com/product/bk-mak-102-azgt/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sky-watcher-skymax-102-eq-2-maksutov-cassegrain-telescope-10595/?mkwid=s7gHFtHkS_dc&pcrid=310558796332&kword=&match=&plid=&product=10595&pgrid=58515500541&ptaid=aud-321738727162:pla-612813126609&gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf4D5unb4nAlNy0GygEp-Xk9duwrSq0fT9CqtyxesYFckAMnJztAQcBoC2xIQAvD_BwE

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-skymax-102-az-gti-wifi-telescope.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-skymax-102s-az-pronto.html

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

Welcome,

I recently bought the slightly larger 127mak, which gives nice views of the Moon and planets. A few things to consider : first, the maksutov design has the  advantage of being relatively compact, but it really does need to be left outside to cool down before use, Even keeping my 'scope in an unheated room I've found half an hour outside is sometimes not long enough (but the smaller instrument you are considering will cool faster) .

Second, the inevitable consequence of greater magnification (good for viewing planets) is a smaller field of view. I doubt I'd have been able to easily use the mak on a non go-to alt/az mount (as I do) if I hadn't spent some time with a lower magnification, wider field reflecting telescope first. I don't know to what degree the go to mounts in your price range will make it easier for you to find things I'm afraid, as I've not used any  of them.

Heather

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

Thank you @Tiny Clanger

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

Thank you @Zermelo

Hi George (and daughter),

Welcome to the forum, I hope it proves useful to you and you enjoy your time here.

If I may put in a few suggestions: Firstly I wouldn't bother with a goto setup - they can be useful if your scope is permanently mounted or at least has a location with permanent marks to align the tripod to every time. But if you are going to be taking the scope out into the garden every time you want to observe, then going through all the alignment palaver first rapidly becomes a chore (been there, done that). It is much, much easier to just plonk the telescope on the patio or whatever, roughly pointing north (if you have an equatorial mount) and start observing.

Secondly, I wouldn't go for a maksutov as a first telescope - the field of view is too narrow, and it can make finding objects really frustrating. They also take quite a while to cool down and give their best. Don't get me wrong - they are great telescopes (I have a 102 and a 127), and really good for planets. I just worry you (or your daughter) may get really frustrated trying to find things.

Might I suggest this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-90-eq2.html or the same scope on an AZ3 or EQ3/2 mount. It is a good size to see most objects, it won't need regular collimation, it is light and easily moved, and it is well within your budget, so you can get a couple of decent eyepieces as well. They also look rather good if left set up in the lounge (impress the neighbors)!

David

• Like 1

The GoTo is extremely useful for finding faint, non-obvious objects, but is not necessary if your interest is confined to the Moon and brighter planets, which are a no-brainer to find.  For the latter, an equatorial mount with RA drive, or even an alt-azimuth mount, will be sufficient, and release a little more money to spend on optics. 

Be aware that the lower priced outfits tend to under-mount the telescope with a flimsy tripod. If you ever get to use a good quality mount, you will find that it feels like scaffolding compared with the wobble-mounts supplied with many of these kits.  Unfortunately it would be very easy to spend your whole budget on  a good quality solid GoTo mount for a small telescope.

Do not be put off by the small field of view of a Maksutov telescope.  Most astronomical objects are very small, the exceptions being star clusters, and some nebulae, the latter being mostly invisible except in long exposure photographs.

• Like 2

Thank you @MrFreeze & @Cosmic Geoff

Based on availability i am looking for the following - i listen carefully your feedback/ advice and i am happy to move away from low cost GoTo options and focus in better optics.

Based on 3 weeks' worth of research, reviews and my minimum knowledge (and based on current availability), it seems i am moving towards the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BR6G589/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-skymax-102s-az-pronto.html

https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/celestron-starsense-explorer-dx-102/p10769

https://www.castlecameras.co.uk/celestron-starsense-explorer-dx-130/p10768

I would also be looking into the 2nd hand sales in this forum for a good deal as well.

I assume i am asking for help on specific models + stands as i start getting the newbie syndrome 🙂 .

Edited by George Sinanis

I think the Celestron starsense scopes you are suggesting are an excellent idea. Several people on here are already buying the cheaper models just to get the phone app ! As a goto they would be a lot easier to use than the Skywatcher synscan system (I have this on my EQ3, and easy to use it isn't). The DX  starsense models are the better ones - obviously you are paying for the app, but those two are good starter scopes. The cheaper starsense models are a little too cheap if you know what I mean. If I was starting again I would be very tempted with the DX102 (I'm tempted anyway - don't tell my wife😜)

David

• Thanks 1

For £300, the Bresser 6" dob is one of the best starter scope. Since it's f/8, collimation can be easily carried out by beginners. Also at this size collimation should hold for quite a long time. It comes with a solar filter, so you can even observe the sun during daytime if you want. The included 25mm plossl eyepiece is decent. So you just need to throw in an 8mm BST, a 2x barlow, a red-dot-finder and a cheshire, and you're all set.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-6-inch-planetary-dobsonian.html

Edited by KP82

If you definitely want a Dob, the Bresser 6" planetary might be a better buy than the smaller Zhumell.  And if you later decide that the Dob format was a mistake, you should be able to easily mount the Bresser on a different mount, since it has tube rings.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

If you definitely want a Dob, the Bresser 6" planetary might be a better buy than the smaller Zhumell.  And if you later decide that the Dob format was a mistake, you should be able to easily mount the Bresser on a different mount, since it has tube rings.

Thanks @Cosmic Geoff if i go for the Bresser 6" what would be the minimum eyepieces i should get with it (if any)?

3 minutes ago, George Sinanis said:

Thanks @Cosmic Geoff if i go for the Bresser 6" what would be the minimum eyepieces i should get with it (if any)?

Everyone will have an opinion, but in addition to the 25mm Plossl that comes with it you should get at least two half-decent eyepieces to give a range of higher magnifications with the most powerful being about 5mm.

• Thanks 1

For me, the best scope for clarity on the moon and planets up to £300 is an 8 inch dobsonian. Unfortunately the Skywatcher 200P is probably not available for a while. It has no goto, but the moon and planets are usually much easier to find than fainter stuff like galaxies, as you have a very bright spot/huge moon to aim for in the finder scope!

A goto setup would keep the object in the view, whereas with a dobsonian, you have to manually nudge it every now and then. You do get used to nudging dobs, I find.

When it comes to the moon and planets, in general, the larger the aperture of the telescope, the finer the detail it can show you, IF CONDITIONS ARE GOOD ENOUGH. How good conditions are typically can vary greatly depending on where you live.

Most nights here I find that my 8 inch scope doesn't show much more detail than a 5 inch on the moon. But I still find the 8 inch worth it for when I do get good, stable seeing now and again and it can show the finer details it is capable of!

That said, the compact smaller scopes also have their appeal, e.g. they may be easier to take with you on holiday or easier to move around. Maybe you would rather have goto and tracking or a smaller dob than occassional finer detail close-up views.

These are all lovely scopes with their own advantages and disadvantages. Good luck picking the winner!

Edited by Luke
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

For me, the best scope for clarity on the moon and planets up to £300 is an 8 inch dobsonian. Unfortunately the Skywatcher 200P is probably not available for a while. It has no goto, but the moon and planets are usually much easier to find than fainter stuff like galaxies, as you have a very bright spot/huge moon to aim for in the finder scope!

A goto setup would keep the object in the view, whereas with a dobsonian, you have to manually nudge it every now and then. You do get used to nudging dobs, I find.

When it comes to the moon and planets, in general, the larger the aperture of the telescope, the finer the detail it can show you, IF CONDITIONS ARE GOOD ENOUGH. How good conditions are typically can vary greatly depending on where you live.

Most nights here I find that my 8 inch scope doesn't show much more detail than a 5 inch on the moon. But I still find the 8 inch worth it for when I do get good, stable seeing now and again and it can show the finer details it is capable of!

That said, the compact smaller scopes also have their appeal, e.g. they may be easier to take with you on holiday or easier to move around. Maybe you would rather have goto and tracking or a smaller dob than occassional finer detail close-up views.

These are all lovely scopes with their own advantages and disadvantages. Good luck picking the winner!

We are not that far away from each other - i live in Northampton!

As i have a specific budget (£300) that i wouldn't want to surpass right now - unless for £30-£40 more i could get significant better visuals.

I would either go for something like the Zhumell and spend another £60-£70 for eyepieces or i would go for something like 6" Dob Bresser (with no further investment on accessories wight now) that will use all my budget! This is what i'm thinking tbh.

35 minutes ago, George Sinanis said:

We are not that far away from each other - i live in Northampton!

As i have a specific budget (£300) that i wouldn't want to surpass right now - unless for £30-£40 more i could get significant better visuals.

I would either go for something like the Zhumell and spend another £60-£70 for eyepieces or i would go for something like 6" Dob Bresser (with no further investment on accessories wight now) that will use all my budget! This is what i'm thinking tbh.

Well if you get the Bresser, I'd strongly recommend spend that extra £40 on a BST 8mm eyepiece (one of the best value eyepieces)

Edited by KP82
  • Thanks 1

I just pressed the buy button!

Bought though FLO a Bresser Messier 6" Planetary Dobsonian + BST 8mm.

it is supposed to be delivered within a few days and i hope it will keep (mainly) my daughter interested into space!

Cannot wait to get our first telescope!

Thank you all for your help and advice.....the real research is about to start 😉 

Edited by George Sinanis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, George Sinanis said:

i hope it will keep (mainly) my daughter interested into space!

Thats how it all starts 🙂 and then the parent takes over the hobby. Not sure if its just our excuse as a parent to foist the 'interest' (read, own unfulfilled interest) onto our children. 😉

Good luck

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, George Sinanis said:

I just pressed the buy button!

Bought though FLO a Bresser Messier 6" Planetary Dobsonian + BST 8mm.

it is supposed to be delivered within a few days and i hope it will keep (mainly) my daughter interested into space!

Cannot wait to get our first telescope!

Thank you all for your help and advice.....the real research is about to start 😉 

Good choices, the 8mm BST is great in my 150 dob. should work really well for you too.

Getting the hang of observing takes a bit of practice and perseverance, and there is a huge amount of information around to take in, get your daughter to do some of the research too, it's all useful exercise of her academic skills (don't tell her that though !)

Heather

• Like 1