Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1950s film; radio astronomy and Jodrell Bank

jambouk

I stumbled on this 28 minute video from the 1950s, which although feels like an Ealing Comedy at the start, is a fascinating look at the history of radio astronomy and the building of Jodrell Bank:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-inquisitive-giant-1957-online

It makes you wonder how many similar films from this era exist  on astronomy and astronomers.

James

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, jambouk said:

I stumbled on this 28 minute video from the 1950s, which although feels like an Ealing Comedy at the start, is a fascinating look at the history of radio astronomy and the building of Jodrell Bank:

It makes you wonder how many similar films from this era exist  on astronomy and astronomers.

James

What a charming film! Amazing what they achieved and that their legacy is still with us.

There was also a wistful section near the beginning, where we appeared to be moving through space, that reminded me of the Clangers.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2020 at 15:58, JeremyS said:

What a charming film! Amazing what they achieved and that their legacy is still with us.

There was also a wistful section near the beginning, where we appeared to be moving through [removed word]

On 25/11/2020 at 14:07, jambouk said:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-inquisitive-giant-1957-online spiritual

James

e, that reminded me of the Clangers.

It's nice to see.... Good info you share here....

I seem to remember silvering the inside of test-tubes at school - I was a rubbish chemist, but still got my CSYS (think it was a C grade though 😉

In the USA there is an interesting spray-silvering process which large mirror users are taking to. I understand the kits are not importable to the UK though...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 25/11/2020 at 08:37, jambouk said:

James

Thanks for sharing this link. It's a fascinating piece of history. I went there many many years ago and it was an awesome place

What a brilliant film! I just love the footage of British engineering in a bygone age, and the approach to health and safety. Steel erectors riding on the crane lifts, machinists gently caressing the workpiece while it’s still turning in the lathe, ah those were the days.

But what an achievement, they looked really chuffed at the end of the film and so they should.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just watched the films. Thank you for sharing.
Looking at today's working practices compared to the 50s its a wonder we ever get anything done.
Days of risk assessments. Training for working at height. Preparing reports for people who never leave their desk....
Then again perhaps we don't build much now.😁

• 2 weeks later...

What persistence and strength for the goal during the years of harsh race in space. Indicative data on what engineering can do. The technical approach of the starting exploration era through trial and error.

Sending satellites, humans, reaching the Moon, Venus, Mars.

Today technology leap and standardization of launches through numerous experiences visualizes colonization to us.

At the same time the word 'colonization' brings to mind long inhabited cities rather than starting with a station, which can be visited by humans for a short term. Exploration stepping, not leaping yet.

Still our raising the bar has been foreseen through centuries :)

Thank you for sharing the videos.