Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Having seen some really nice images tonight...

Psychobilly

Now for a poor one....

First go at f10 imaging through the CPC800 with the un-modded 1000D and CLS clip in filter 10x5mins ISO1600... guided using a DSI II C on a 500mm SLR lens... freeignj up the Megrez 72 for Simultaneous widefield imaging...

Heres the f10 Image from the 8" warts and all...

11977_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Really needed to use the moded 350D on the 8" to capture the Ha

Now to go and find and process the matching widefield....

and the image from the Megrez72 FF III combo 9 x 6mins again warts and all....

11978_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Billy...

Thanks Ron...

The 8" will have to be collimated through a DSLR now that I am using it for imaging and I think I have an issue with the clip in filter not sitting square... or it might be a combination of the two...

The main thing is guiding through the 500mm seems to be successful and the mount seemed happy enough with the extra load with the additional balancign work that i did as well... so tomorrow i'll make some soft-tipped screws with knurled "heads" so i can adjsut the guide scope by hand...rather than using a screwdriver... looks like last weekend efforts in the "shop" were worthwhile .

Billy...

Hey thats not too shabby at all for an f10 image. its really tough getting it spot on at that scale. I have been told that there really is nothing to be gained with a big scope, big chip and high focal ratio, so that we'd be just as well imaging at f6.3 and enlarging in photoshop. (something about arcseconds or whatever, I didnt understand it)

You finished for the night then Peter? It's still clear here, although the seeing alternates between carp and pants. At the moment it is carped pants, but the images are still rolling in. At 18:30 I laughingly selected 50 as the number of 400 sec exposures to take. It's just taking number 52 :) GSO mask worked a treat again on the GSO, and I used it to check a peculiar problem I had with just part of the image being out of focus. Took a pic tonight with Capella, i'll post it for you at some point.

Tim

yeah I abandoned for the night when i lost sight of alnitak in the mist... pretty pointless then as piddling in the pea soup....

As i said Happy(ish) as seeing as the guiding was good at F10 its should be fine at F6.3 which is probably where the 8" will be used the most... ahvent had to butcher any adaptors to get the DSI IIC mounted to the t-mount 500mm just need one of the shorter T extensions that I had here and have good range of focus... with infinity focus being a fair bit away from the end stop.

Glad the GSO masks working Martin should have had his as well by now...ahnd its just nice to see a few peopel getting out again tonight

Right time for bed....

Billy...

Nice detail coming through on the Crab, Peter.

Mark

Thansk Mark,

Not as much as I would have liked and i think collimation needs tweaking...

Really need to have the modded 350D ont he 8" but seeing as i was going to spend soem tiem imagign B33 at F10 and NGC1977 as well i decide that the Modded camera was better on the Megrez 72 to get some more widefield data of Flame HHN and M42/M43/NGC 1977 but the weather had different ideas...

Nice one Peter, colour is coming through nicely and of course the focus is bang on.

I like the widefield too, I don't think I've evr seen it that wide.

I have been told that there really is nothing to be gained with a big scope, big chip and high focal ratio, so that we'd be just as well imaging at f6.3 and enlarging in photoshop.

Tim

Maybe its just counterintuitive Tim, but that sure don't sound right! You will certainly get better resolution with a big scope at a high FR, but you need to match the chip to it. Any image will be limited by the arc sec/pixel ratio to be sure, but shooting at a lower FR with a smaller scope, then enlarging in PS won't give you more detail.

Cheers

Rob

That's probably the main reason for doing it Kev, A lot of the widefield regions have some interesting smaller objects in them as well so I can now get up close and personal whilst adding extra data to the widefield shots especially now that I am a convert to registar so can stack and mosaic images form different cameras without any problems at all...

M1 was a natural first target as its not solely a Ha target and I wanted to see how the 1000D copped with it. I set up the cameras with the HA hoover (modded 350D) on the Meg72 setup as I wanted to get more widefield data for flame HHN whilst imaging B33 at f10 and same again for M42/M43 whilst imaging NGC1977 at f10...

Unfortunately the moisture laden skies meant the later targets lost out.

Billy...

Billy,

That's a great M1 and there's quite a bit of the filament detail. I just modded a 1000D and it's dead easy, though remember to put the ribbons all the way back in! I didn't replace the filter, just took it out. Hopefully I be able to get a first light on it in the next few days - might have to do M1 as well :)

Sam

Nice ones Billy. F10 is not easy I have found. Focusing is a pain and its slow, I also get bad vignetting, OK it can be flatted out to certain extent but its still there.

I like the widefield with the Megrez.

Phil

Oh Sam "I just modded a 1000D and it's dead easy"....

why did you have to say that... my screwdriver fingers are itching... going to have to wait until i can afford a glass or filter for this one though as I want to still be able to use AF with it .... One thing i learnt from the 350D mod is that not putting anything back in to replace the filter means that I cant get infinity focus with a lot of lenses so no good for widefield use... not a problem on the scopes though...

Billy....

Nice ones Billy. F10 is not easy I have found. Focusing is a pain and its slow, I also get bad

Phil

Got to watch here as there may be a conflict of interest ... but as the sig says it doesn't have to be with the right accessories takes me about 2 mins max... and thats if I am way off... If its anywhere close about 30s :)

Billy...

Oh Sam "I just modded a 1000D and it's dead easy"....

why did you have to say that... my screwdriver fingers are itching... going to have to wait until i can afford a glass or filter for this one though as I want to still be able to use AF with it .... One thing i learnt from the 350D mod is that not putting anything back in to replace the filter means that I cant get infinity focus with a lot of lenses so no good for widefield use... not a problem on the scopes though...

Billy....

I've retired my unmodded 400D from astro work so the modded 1000D will be dedicated to astro work and the 400D will be for tourism and happy snapping. It really is easy Billy (must be if I can do it), way easier than the LX mod for an SPC900NC for example.

Sam

Archived