Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to get Nikon modified?

tooth_dr

23 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I’ve emailed JTW but got no reply. Anywhere else out there I can contact?

I'm afraid I can't suggest anywhere to get this mod done other than the USA ! I have a feeling this is one of those self fulfilling prophesies where there's so little interest that no one offers the service. There's a guy in Romania that does Nikon I believe, who advertised on eBay, but I don't know anything about him. 

Have you spoken to Andy Ellis ? He may be able to advise even if he doesn't do them - http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/contact.htm

Have you emailed JTW again ? I know someone who had them mod a Nikon some time ago.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, davew said:

I'm afraid I can't suggest anywhere to get this mod done other than the USA ! I have a feeling this is one of those self fulfilling prophesies where there's so little interest that no one offers the service. There's a guy in Romania that does Nikon I believe, who advertised on eBay, but I don't know anything about him. 

Have you spoken to Andy Ellis ? He may be able to advise even if he doesn't do them - http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/contact.htm

Have you emailed JTW again ? I know someone who had them mod a Nikon some time ago.

Dave.

They replied today.  Seems reputable. £300 for the service. Just debating it now. They do leave it with autofocus working etc 

2 hours ago, GrampyG said:

Hi

I have a NikonD5600 modded by JTW. Did take a lot longer than they indicated but it is excellent. 'Cleaner' than my Canon 600D.

Thanks for the feedback, do you mind saying how long it took?

Hi

They indicated around 1 week; this was to purchase a modded camera. However, unfortunately I felt was getting fobbed off with a number of excuses, like "It is being done", then nothing for over a week, then other excuses, including "It wasn't picked up from the office", then I got a message days later to say it was going to be tracked when sent in the the PO in the Netherlands - it clearly wasn't sent so more delay. Finally it was trackable and did arrive- I think over a month but it was the clear excuses that was annoying, not  the wait.

However, it is an excellent camera and they did a good job. So expect a wait. Would I order again? Yes, but just be honest with the time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

Hmm ... Very interesting. In the weeks to come I may well send them an email.

Cheers Bottletop,

Dave.

Edited by davew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davew said:

Hmm ... Very interesting. In the weeks to come I may well send them an email.

Cheers Bottletop,

Dave.

From reading both sites, it seems that JTW will move the sensor to retain autofocus, whereas Protech Repairs uses an additional piece of clear glass to do the same.  

From JTW: "We do not fit clear glass as standard to correct the autofocus, we instead correct the position of the sensor. This retains auto-focus without the need for clear glass, the reason for this is that it totally eliminates reflections near the sensor, which even with coated glass will still be present around bright objects"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

From reading both sites, it seems that JTW will move the sensor to retain autofocus, whereas Protech Repairs uses an additional piece of clear glass to do the same.  

From JTW: "We do not fit clear glass as standard to correct the autofocus, we instead correct the position of the sensor. This retains auto-focus without the need for clear glass, the reason for this is that it totally eliminates reflections near the sensor, which even with coated glass will still be present around bright objects"

Good point. It looks like Protech are more interested in daylight IR. On the other hand they may, if asked, fit a modified Baader filter if that's what the customer wants. 

For my part retaining auto focus would not be my main concern but focusing at infinity with a camera lens would be !

As Manchester will be in lock down for another few months at least, I'll have time to think about it.

Dave.

9 minutes ago, davew said:

For my part retaining auto focus would not be my main concern but focusing at infinity with a camera lens would be !

As Manchester will be in lock down for another few months at least, I'll have time to think about it.

It would be essential for autofocus to continue to work with mine, and of course focusing with a camera lens at infinity!

Thats bad about manchester, I didnt realise you were getting it so rough over there.  Although these businesses arestill open so would only be a matter of posting the items off.

On 25/11/2020 at 13:12, davew said:

Dave.

Who is this Romanian guy and how does one find him?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 17:41, tooth_dr said:

Adam you probably already know most of this already, but i'll repeat it here for anyone else interested.

I had my Nikon D5300 modified by JTW about 4 years ago now. The cost for the modification was about £175, but after including postage (both ways) it came out at just over £200. I think I had the camera back again within 2 weeks, if I recall. I am very happy with how the camera performs, and I can't ever see me selling it.

FWIW, I totally agree with JTW's answer above in quotes. After I got my camera back, I did quite a lot of Ha-Oiii bi-colour imaging with it for a couple of years, using 2" Baader filters. I kept reading stories online of how the Oiii halos were really bad with the Baader filters, but I never saw them in my images. Even 52 Cyg in the Western Veil showed minimal halo-ing. I've recently just started doing some mono imaging with an 8300 camera, and even though I have only taken one data set so far, I am now seeing fairly significant halos in Oiii (and also Sii now that I've picked one up). 

So I think it's fair to assume that the internal longpass filter that JTW install is of very high quality, and by the looks of it, has better coatings than the sensor window of the 8300 camera.

• Like 1