SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81/82 in Ursa Major - First guided image

brendant

Have the guide camera since Christmas and other than getting out on two occasions for 15-30 Min's to get setup this is the first guided image captured using the ED80 400D with a QHY5 guidecam with 400mm camera lens as guidescope.

Everything worked a dream other than the usual clouds putting an abrupt end to play, had to get everything in in a hurry, half an hour ago as it was spitting rain to now see it has cleared off again and the sky is clear :) . Would have been nice to get a couple of hours exposure but better than nothing.

Guided with PHD straight from the QHY5 to the ST4 guideport on the EQ5 Synscan, 49 Min's total exposure, 5 x 5 Min's 4 x 6 Min's all @ ISO800, stacked in DSS and finished in CS2.

Brendan

Thanks all for the positive feedback.

TJ, would love to add a couple of hours to it weather permitting, looks good for a clear night tonight but I have to go out to a Burns Night and will be in no state to image later :(:) .

Brendan

Thanks Martin,

Was a bit cross with myself as did not get it correctly centred on the chip, the posted image which is a crop of the full frame had to include the lower right hand corner with distorted stars because of field curvature (maybe camera not exactly square to the optical train), otherwise really pleased with the guiding of the EQ5 and am looking forward to a good clear night (aren't we all) when I can get a decent amount of subs as it makes a great target.

Brendan

Brendan, I am running a sequence to try and get a little of the integrated flux that surrounds this area. So far I have 14 hours of images, but none through great skies sadly. Maybe by combining pics then something may show up. If you do grab some more, please PM me if you dont mind sharing the data.

Thanks

Tim

Archived