Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

55 minutes on LBN331 and a ‎humongous SN remnant in Cygnus

gorann

I was aiming at the area around LBN331 in Cygnus two nights ago. It was supposed to be clear the whole night but after 55 min, at 9.30 clouds moved in and covered the whole sky until I gave up at 1.30. Had no big hope for my 55 min of data, but then it was captured with the RASA 8 at f/2 and the ASI2600MC, so you never know. Since the moon is also up I had the IDAS NBX dual band (Ha + Oiii)  filter on. To my surprise the image from the 11 x 5 min subs looked quite promising and soon I also saw a faint bluish structure I did not know would be there. Could I have discovered a new Squid?:blob9: Well, I sent Wim @wimvb  a message and within minutes he put me right by pointing me at this site: https://www.nebulaphotos.com/lbn-ldn/nwcygnus/

So, it turns out to be Oiii emission from a giant super nova remnant without any name, but with the designation SNR G 082.2+0.53. It is really huge. My FOW is 2.25° x 3.36°, so it must have an angular diameter of 1.3°, which is nearly three times that of the moon (0.5°).

Obviously I will point the RASA in the same direction as soon as it clears. Like the famous Squid this SNR is really faint, and 55 minutes is admittantly a rediculously short integration time even for this scope and there are many more photons waiting to be captured:bino2:

20201122 LBN331 RASA NBX PS27smallSign.jpg

20201119_161144_resized.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 13

36 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

That's intense Goran. Super image - mosaic in the making...

Thanks a lot! I need data for the first panel first, then we will see. The more interesting stuff is below, including a PN so it could become a very tall mosaic....