Narrowband

Seeing the sun

1 hour ago, Joe beaumont said:

What types of filters do I need for my celestron nexstar 4se to be able to look at the sun through the eyepiece 

Thank you 

As others have said be very careful.

I use the Astrozap Solar Filter with my 8se:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

Also use a Baader Continuum Filter at the eyepiece end:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-solar-continuum-filter.html

Which gives a green view as seen in the pic.

sun.png.95583245dc5ed38180c5e2358da93773.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

You will need a filter that fits over the front aperture of the scope. Something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

^^^^^This^^^^^

I've literally just got the email from @FLO saying the one I wanted was in stock. I pulled the trigger immediately. 

Looking forward to imaging the Sun with my 130PDS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

I use a small solar filter cell for my RACI finder. So much easier to use than those little solar finders. 👍🏻

203DBBE0-2007-4A99-A185-F19A5E866390.jpeg

Interesting viewpoint.  I made one of these originally and I found that you still had to wave the telescope about or use the shadow to find the Sun whereas my current unit simply made from a piece of flat aluminium stock, ends bent up at 90 degrees, pinhole in the front and translucent target at the rear seems much easier to use.  The targeted solar image can be seen from the front, back and side angle without having to go anywhere near an eyepiece.  Weighs and costs almost nothing.       🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Interesting viewpoint.  I made one of these originally and I found that you still had to wave the telescope about or use the shadow to find the Sun whereas my current unit simply made from a piece of flat aluminium stock, ends bent up at 90 degrees, pinhole in the front and translucent target at the rear seems much easier to use.  The targeted solar image can be seen from the front, back and side angle without having to go anywhere near an eyepiece.  Weighs and costs almost nothing.       🙂 

I find it incredibly easy to find the sun. Just point the scope in the general direction of the sun using the shadow on the ground and there the sun is in the finder then zero in more accurately than I’ve ever been able to using the type of solar finder you describe. 

Edited by johninderby

I don't even use a finder for solar, just look down the diagonal without eyepiece.

Sun is dead centre in the eyepiece when viewing.

Also the Baader Continuum filter at the eye piece must be used with the Solar filter.

19 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I think the main difference is that my telescope works in a fairly cramped observatory which is too angular to easily cast an accurate shadow.     🙂

Perhaps a RACI finder wilth solar filter and one of your simple types mounted on top of the finder would be the best of both? 🤔

Edited by johninderby

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Perhaps a RACI finder wilth solar filter and one of your simple types mounted on top of the finder would be the best of both? 🤔

Not really suitable in my confined space.  I am a fan of dual types for night use though.     🙂

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I can vouch for how good Peter's solar finders are.  He was kind enough to make me one ages ago, I wouldnt use anything else 🙂.