Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alternative SkEye App for Iphone

cdbrad

I'm looking for an app that will allow me to find stars/planets with my smartphone connected to my telescope. I believe SkEye is the type of app I'm looking for but its not compatible with iPhones. Any ideas on alternatives? 

Welcome to the forum, cdbrad!

To address your question properly, please let us know what telescope (mount) model exactly you plan to connect to your smartphone? Have you been doing that before with SkEye on an Android smartphone? And if so what's the reason you want to switch to the iPhone now?

• 2 months later...

Huh, this is a really late reply, but in case someone is looking for something like that, the polar alignment app called Polar Scope Align, (disclaimer: I am the developer) has several tools, one of which is a Deep Space Object database, that allows you to find an object using a "Push To" function (with the option to use an intermediate calibration star to hop from). More details about using it from the point of view of a user here. I am suggesting it as the SkyEye mentioned does a similar thing, using the phone gyro/compass, it does not actually connect to the mount to control it.

Edited by ecuador
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 24/11/2020 at 09:16, cdbrad said:

I'm looking for an app that will allow me to find stars/planets with my smartphone connected to my telescope. I believe SkEye is the type of app I'm looking for but its not compatible with iPhones. Any ideas on alternatives? 

hi, here is a skeye alternative at iPhone

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/skeye-pushtocam-for-telescope/id1639616441

Best regards

'Planets' by Q Continuum/Dana Peters is a pretty good app and available for either iOS [<14Mb] or Android OS [<4Mb]... and it is free.

I liked the spectrum settings.... you can change it so you get to see the sky in another part of the electro-magnetic spectrum.

Edited by Philip R