SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UGC 2838

Rodd

Who said you can't go galaxy hunting with a 4", 318mm FL scope?    Ironically, this may be one of the most often imaged galaxies though people may not realize it.  This spiral galaxy lies near the star Electra (17 Tau) in M45--one of the 7 Sisters, which is the large star near the left hand edge of the frame.   This is a very aggressive crop of my Pleiades image that I think makes a satisfactory stand alone image.  I an mot sure how this will look when viewed in SGL.  The crop has been up-sampled a bit so that the image is decent size when viewing--but it may require more enlargement.  We'll see.  If the screen size is to small, one may visit the Pleiades image and view that in full resolution mode.  

About 20 hours of exposure with FSQ 106 and np101is (3 hours Lum).  The  subs were 30 sec subs 924: 325: 337: 356

1597869602_Cropnew.jpg.edd6ec7368e23b66590ab8f69d82e4a8.jpg

• Like 19

Thanks for pointing that out, it fascinating having looked at the Pleiades a thousand times yet I had no idea there was a most distant galaxy tucked away in the FOV. This must be the case with every object as much more distant galaxies litter the background of most objects but, to see it here is wonderous.

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Thanks for pointing that out, it fascinating having looked at the Pleiades a thousand times yet I had no idea there was a most distant galaxy tucked away in the FOV. This must be the case with every object as much more distant galaxies litter the background of most objects but, to see it here is wonderous.

There are a lot of galaxies in images—galaxy image bombing. I was most surprised at the distinctness and well formed nature at short focal length of this one.  Not a faint little fuzzy.  I guess M45 hides it well

• Like 1

Welcome back to SGL Rodd!

I allready liked your little galaxy on Astrobin. It made me check my recent RASA 8 image of M45 and it is also there, even smaller in relation to my FOV. So also a RASA can hunt galaxies although so far I have only actively aimed it at M31 and M33.

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Welcome back to SGL Rodd!

I allready liked your little galaxy on Astrobin. It made me check my recent RASA 8 image of M45 and it is also there, even smaller in relation to my FOV. So also a RASA can hunt galaxies although so far I have only actively aimed it at M31 and M33.

Thanks Goran...good to be back.  The RASA is a formidable scope.  I am much more attracted to it than Hyperstar.  With todays OSC cameras the RASA has amazing potential.  Even mono cameras with filter drawers would be good (as long as flats could be taken satisfactorilly).

4 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Goran...good to be back.  The RASA is a formidable scope.  I am much more attracted to it than Hyperstar.  With todays OSC cameras the RASA has amazing potential.  Even mono cameras with filter drawers would be good (as long as flats could be taken satisfactorilly).

It is that not long to Christmas! I just started a thread here showing what the RASA 8 can do in 55 minutes.

Edited by gorann

5 minutes ago, gorann said:

It is that not long to Christmas! I just started a thread here showing what the RASA 8 can do in 55 minutes.

I am afraid my penance for the FSQ and TOA won't ease up until Betelgeuse spreads its plasma across the heavens.  

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Nice capture, wish I could stay on a target that long. After a few hours I need a new target, im just such a cheap thrill person!

I am the same way. It’s a real struggle to stay on a target