SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing in the summer

I appreciate this will be a stupid question so I apologise in advance.

As previously mentioned, I had taken a break from star gazing over the past year. Since I had started star gazing I had only done it in the winter months mainly because it gave me the motivation to go out in the cold dark nights. As a result, I didn't do it any other time of the year. During the summer months in particular, I am usually doing other things including going to pubs but with this virus, I can't see that happening next year even with the current excitement about pharama companies falling over themselves telling us how much better their vaccine is better than the rest. It occurred to me that I could do some star gazing during the summer months for a change.

It never really occurred to me to do stargazing during the summer months because both nautical and Astronomical Twilight occurred to late in the evening, nearly at midnight during the height of summer. I was wondering is it worth star gazing in the summer provided I stay up long enough and are there particular astronomical events that occur only during the summer months that I have missed?

A few things in play here that affect the answer to that. In Glasgow I’ve certainly found it worthwhile getting the scope out for Jupiter and Saturn at times over the summer as long as you accept sessions will be late and fairly short. And shorter as you go further north.

I’m in a pretty light polluted area, so even in the winter deep sky in objects are out of the question for me. But yes, if that’s what you are interested in, and your scope is capable of viewing them in winter, the lack of darkness in summer will rule out most of your targets.

Personally though, I’m often happy with summer evening sessions looking at the moon. The brighter sky isn’t an issue and the warm(er) nights make for much more comfortable evenings than freezing in the winter!

Stick some dates into Stellarium etc and see how the planets are located over next summer and work out when your best options are likely to be.

Yep - Edinburgh here. The summer's observing is limited, but worthwhile. Forget anything dim, though.

In mid summer, even around 1am, it's still light-ish. But June and August get reasonable darkness that late. Planets are the main targets, but double-stars are good too. The moon obviously, although it is low in the summer.

This summer gone, we were treated to comet-hunting with binoculars!

• Like 1

I’m “down here” in Essex so it does get a bit darker on the short summer nights than Scotland.

However I observe all year round. In June I can do reasonably ok from around 11.30pm BST.  As already mentioned the moon, double stars and the planets are all good targets.  Even some deep sky is worthwhile although I don’t know if that would be ok from the far north of UK.....

I greatly enjoy summer stargazing especially if it’s warm enough for shorts T shirt and flip-flops 👍

Could get yourself some Baader solar film and try some white-light solar observing.  There are numerous objective filters and eyepiece accessories for solar observing that don't cost that much and can easily be added to most regular scopes.

Caveat: Must cap or remove the finder scope!  To find the sun use shadows or a dedicated solar finder, or add a solar film filter to the finder (always check for damage before use).

The main danger, once safe solar observing has been observed, is sunburn / sunstroke so sun cream and a floppy hat are also good things to use.

• Like 1

Summer observing can be enjoyable, especially if you like to camp and/or don't mind staying up late. The observing hours are very limited, so it's quick sessions, with small telescopes or binoculars. There are a couple of weeks midsummer when it's an almost pointless pursuit but...

Casual astronomy in shirt sleeves, a cold can of beer or three handy, with a cool breeze and wildlife (including dreaded midges!) to keep you company can make a pleasant night.

• Like 2

I have never subscribed to the view that there is an end (or beginning) to the astronomy season; some pack away their scopes for the Summer, not me! I just change what I’m viewing and keep going, enjoying the warmer weather.

Solar is an obvious one, and I love both white light and Ha solar observing. In terms of astronomical observing, planets and double stars can be observed at any time of the year when they are well placed.  At the end of July I observed all the planets in one night, and of course we had the wonderful Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE too which was fabulous over the summer.

One of my favourite constellations is Cygnus, slap bang on the Milky Way, and containing the wonderful Veil and North America Nebulae. These are two of my favourite summer targets, and certainly later in the summer it is fabulous to see the Milky Way running overhead, with all the lovely objects in Sagittarius low down in the South. Observing at this time of year is really enjoyable with the warm nights and these targets to view.

• Like 2

I'm observing all the year round - no problems at 49.36 N latitude, as the sun at the end of June at midnight is15 degrees under the horizon, almost at the end of astronomical twilight. Most DSO's can be spotted under these conditions. At 55 degrees N, the sun is about 10 degrees  under the horizon - nautical twilight.  Moon, planets of course, as well as double stars, but even brighter point (=star/starlike) sources, as open clusters, globular clusters or small planetaries should be in reach. Higher magnifications will darken the sky background, and narrowband filters will help. So just give it a try, get two or three hours of sleep before (think of the Vendee Globe sailors, who can sleep on command), get up at midnight and have one to two hours of fun. Enjoy the warm breeze, flower scents, nightly animals, and a glass of wine, beer or "sperretts", or something else, as you like. It's just being out under the stars, what counts.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 2

I tend to observe year round down here in Dorset.

It does mean accepting that sessions will start late and finish in the early hours so I'm restricted to Fridays and weekends, but still worthwhile.

I also do solar observing in WL and H-alpha which keeps the astro mojo ticking over.

In fact, looking at my observing notebook, I've had far more observing sessions in the summer than I've had over an equivalent amount of time this autumn.

As has already been stated, just adjust the type of target to stuff that is easier to view with a brighter background so double stars, planets, solar and lunar.

• Like 1

You don't know what you're missing...

Cygnus

Hercules

Lyra

Aquila

Perseus

Ophiuchus 

And a load more

And ALL the goodies that come with those!

And you're not freezing your cajonies off whilst you're outside 😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Summer observing can be enjoyable, especially if you like to camp and/or don't mind staying up late. The observing hours are very limited, so it's quick sessions, with small telescopes or binoculars. There are a couple of weeks midsummer when it's an almost pointless pursuit but...

Casual astronomy in shirt sleeves, a cold can of beer or three handy, with a cool breeze and wildlife (including dreaded midges!) to keep you company can make a pleasant night.

Some people swear by Avon Skin So Soft with citronella in it for a midge repellant.  Others just swear 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1