sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Secondary mirror keeps tilting and not staying in position after first attempt in collimation.

Hi I am fairly new with telescopes and I noticed my telescope needed collimation. I preview the collimation at the beginning (tell me please if its alright) however after I finished the secondary mirror kept tilting and not staying in place as seen in the video. This is a Heritage 130P telescope. Please help.

Seems that the single stalk holding it is loose at one end, hence it flops when you let go. Does it clamp on a screw holding the focuser on the carrier? There may be a lock nut on the end of the shaft too that needs tightening up so it hold firm.

6 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Seems that the single stalk holding it is loose at one end, hence it flops when you let go. Does it clamp on a screw holding the focuser on the carrier? There may be a lock nut on the end of the shaft too that needs tightening up so it hold firm.

Yeah there is a nut at the end, I'll try tightening it. Thanks. And by the way do you know any good collimation videos, I seem to have made it worse.

IMG_20201123_173708.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Humb1e
      Hiya,
      I'm looking a bit of advice / opinions on a telescopes for a beginner, but useful, telescope. 

I've gone through tonnes websites and now seem to find my self going round in circles.......
      I've read that an 8inch dobsonian type will do pretty much everything I want without breaking the bank too much / me outgrowing it very quickly. 
      Main issue is that I'd like to be able to take imagery, whether thats with phone or camera to start I don't know. I understand tracking can be easier with something motorised rather than by hand..... 
      Budget wise, I don't want to spend a small fortune, or, get something I'll need to replace too soon. I'm based South in Manchester, UK, not sure if that has any bearing on choices. 
      It probably needs to be something with low maintenance requirements too. 
      My budget is low at around £300...... Not my decision on this one 😂

Cheers in advance 
    • By luvalezim
      Hello.
      My name is Luiza, I am a student of Computer Engineering in São Paulo, Brazil and I would like to ask for your help.
      As yesterday was the super pink moon day, I, at about 22:50, decided to take several photos of the moon using my phone and my non-digital telescope. And, analyzing the photos now, I realized that in some of them there are certain objects that I can't say exactly what they are. Could you help me identify them, please? I am not sure if they are satellites, ISS, Hubble, etc ... and I am very intrigued by themphotos.rar.
      P.S: the objects are in the lower left corner of the images

• By Abhishek Pawse
      Hi guys. Please tell me if collimation is required for the celestron 9.25 edge HD  after using the hyper star system( after putting back the secondary mirror in its place ). Or it holds its collimation.?
      Thanks In advance for help :)
    • By BenR
      Hello
      I am new to astronomy, and recently purchased a Celestron Starsense Explorer LT 114AZ, and just for a start, I used the finderscope to locate exactly a random star, and I looked through the eyepiece and just saw a blurry white image. I was using a 25mm eyepiece lens, and then decided to put on the 2x Barlow lens with the 25mm lens, and nothing changed. Is this normal? What should I do to improve?
      Thanks.
    • By Northernlight
      Hi All,
      Just wondering if anyone out there had upgraded their secondary spider to use one of these CNC secondary cells ?  just looking for some feedback to see how much of a difference they make - primarily interested from a collimation perspective, but also interested to see how much it impacts your diffraction spikes.
      Cheers,
      Rich.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.