Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZGTI WIFI

Since buying some Canon 15x50 IS, I haven't used my scope much, and I've shied away from the technical stuff, star alignment ets. as at first it just didn't seem to work very well. I took it out last night for another try.  127 mak on azgti wifi with hand controller.  Set level and north, input co-ordinates etc. etc.  It wasn't yet properly dark so did a daylight alignment using just the moon.   Tracking worked great, which is the main reason i bought a motorised mount.  GoTo was poor, asked it to slew to Jupiter and it placed the planet within the 10x50 finderscope but not in the 24mm hyperion FOV!  I expected it to ask me to centre Jupiter in the FOV and confirm but no, it didn't so......Asked to return to the Moon, and it had no problem!  Same thing with saturn and Mars, was outside the FOV.  I won't be able to locate faint DSO's if they aren't even close to the center of the view in the finder!  In my skies it's quite difficult to find them at the best of times.  I did later notice a bit of slop which was the OTA moving a bit on the wedge that holds it to the mount so maybe next time I need to tighten that thumbscrew?   Any thoughts anyone?  I have to say the stars look so gorgeous in the binoculars and the colours come out beautifully and it's so effortless to just sweep around and take it all in, but i have this expensive telescope and I'd like to get a bit more use out of it!  Any advice gratefully received thanks for reading.

Edited by davekelley
typo

Hi

By handset do you mean a handset or the app on the phone.

If handset then it might be your date and daylight saving setting information is wrong.

You mention wedge, the az-gti as shipped is alt az operation and wouldn't use a wedge. Did you update the firmware on your one? Perhaps I miss understood

Edited by happy-kat

A one-star or one-planet align is not good enough to find objects far from the original aligning point, unless you level the mount with great accuracy.  The one-object align assumes that the mount is perfectly level. Accuracy will be much better with a two-star align.

A possible problem could be caused by using the Moon as the alignment point.  The Moon is the hardest thing for the goto to go to, the complexity of its motion compared to the fixed stars means that it's not an accurately recognised object as far as position is concerned.  I doubt if you are entering any data wrong being as you are so close to the target.      🙂

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Hi

By handset do you mean a handset or the app on the phone.

If handset then it might be your date and daylight saving setting information is wrong.

You mention wedge, the az-gti as shipped is alt az operation and wouldn't use a wedge. Did you update the firmware on your one? Perhaps I miss understood

I just mean that mounting bracket on the ota that's sort of wedge shaped and a single albeit large thumbscrew on the mount holds the ota in place.  There was definitely a bit of give there.  I use the handset because I couldn't get on with using the app on my phone but I use an app Synscan init  to set up the scope.  I'm never sure what daylight saving yes/no  is supposed to mean.  All I know is the clocks went back about a month ago!!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

A one-star or one-planet align is not good enough to find objects far from the original aligning point, unless you level the mount with great accuracy.  The one-object align assumes that the mount is perfectly level. Accuracy will be much better with a two-star align.

Thank you, this raises the question (shows how little I know), I am levelling the ota, not the mount!  Schoolboy error?

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

A possible problem could be caused by using the Moon as the alignment point.  The Moon is the hardest thing for the goto to go to, the complexity of its motion compared to the fixed stars means that it's not an accurately recognised object as far as position is concerned.  I doubt if you are entering any data wrong being as you are so close to the target.      🙂

Thanks.  I can see the point of using stars rather than the moon or even planets to get an alignment!  I just don't know the names of too many stars.  I  guess I'll have to get the laptop out to be sure I am looking at the right stars.

2 minutes ago, davekelley said:

Thanks.  I can see the point of using stars rather than the moon or even planets to get an alignment!  I just don't know the names of too many stars.  I  guess I'll have to get the laptop out to be sure I am looking at the right stars.

My first piece of advice would be to get yourself a decent Planisphere, for example the Philips one (though not the gimmicky 'glow in the dark one') as that will give you a 'whole sky' view of what is up at the moment and has the brighter stars named.

Second suggestion is that you try the Level and North alignment on the handset (I appreciate you didn't get on with it, but it's worth sticking with IMO) , you don't really need to know the names of the stars, as the stars selected should be amongst the brightest ones, and if your initial estimate of Level and North is close, then it should be pretty obvious which star it's meant to be pointing at. 

16 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

My first piece of advice would be to get yourself a decent Planisphere, for example the Philips one (though not the gimmicky 'glow in the dark one') as that will give you a 'whole sky' view of what is up at the moment and has the brighter stars named.

Second suggestion is that you try the Level and North alignment on the handset (I appreciate you didn't get on with it, but it's worth sticking with IMO) , you don't really need to know the names of the stars, as the stars selected should be amongst the brightest ones, and if your initial estimate of Level and North is close, then it should be pretty obvious which star it's meant to be pointing at. 

Yes cheers I will have to find that level and north option then.  I did watch some youtube vids and they seemed to suggest that it wasn't critical.  I know a lot of constellations but names of stars I am poor I'm afraid, very poor.

In the UK if using synscan daylight saving is 'No' right now and I expect that is what synscaninit says too, I use that as well as I am never sure on what to select.

But I am going to check the app in case I miss remembered last time I used it a couple weeks ago.

Edit, I was wrong it's is No right now.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

In the UK if using synscan daylight saving is 'yes' right now and I expect that is what synscaninit says too, I use that as well as I am never sure on what to select.

But I am going to check the app in case I miss remembered last time I used it a couple weeks ago.

We just ended DST so are back on GMT now.

I remember it as we are on GMT until spring when we go forward and fall back to it Autumn.  Hence use the phrase spring forward and fall back. It also matches the US phrase which helps.

• Like 1

Don't bother with the point North align method, it isn't as accurate as a two star align. As @Peter Drew mentioned the moon is not a good object to align from. 

Few tips; Try to level your mount as near as possible, this really helps and then a two star align using stars that are around mid height (45 degree's ish, give or take 20 degrees) in the sky and use stars that are at least 90 degrees apart. 

At this time of the year I use Capella and Vega. Nice n bright, well placed  and easy to find.

10 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

We just ended DST so are back on GMT now.

I remember it as we are on GMT until spring when we go forward and fall back to it Autumn.  Hence use the phrase spring forward and fall back. It also matches the US phrase which helps.

I know fall back spring fwd, I just don't understand the term "Daylight Saving Time"!  My Synscan init was correct anyhow, thanks!