SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Buying second hand

Hi all

First post here! I'm looking to get my first telescope and currently looking at second hand on the usual online places. I'm looking at telescopes that would perhaps retail up to about £300 but are maybe a few years old. What sort of prices are reasonable? I looking at it that if I was to buy a brand new scope of same or similar specs today, what price would I expect to pay secondhand? 50%? More? Less? (Hope that makes sense!)

Also, when I rock up to collect, other than obvious damage, what should I be looking for to confirm its in good working order? Anything else i need to consider?

Thanks

Hi all my telescopes are secondhand  my first i got tuck up on so had to bin it the rest have been top notch just check mirrors are not damaged and focuser has no play 

Most of us look after our scopes so good places to buy from is here or astro buy and sell . E bay is not bad if you can do cash on collection  when you get there if its no good walk away 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Very Amateur said:

Hi all

First post here! I'm looking to get my first telescope and currently looking at second hand on the usual online places. I'm looking at telescopes that would perhaps retail up to about £300 but are maybe a few years old. What sort of prices are reasonable? I looking at it that if I was to buy a brand new scope of same or similar specs today, what price would I expect to pay secondhand? 50%? More? Less? (Hope that makes sense!)

Also, when I rock up to collect, other than obvious damage, what should I be looking for to confirm its in good working order? Anything else i need to consider?

Thanks

First thing I'd do would be an online search and see what reviews of the specific model I can find. Some at around that (original) price will be fancy looking toys, others will be basic proper telescopes, reviews will help you sort them. I'd favour well known brands like Celestron , Bresser and Skywatcher .

Then I'd definitely want to see the 'scope rather than have it delivered. Starting ground up, the support might be a dobsonian arrangement or a tripod plus some sort of head, whichever it is needs to be not wobbly, allow free smooth movement in every direction, and stay put when locked. If it is a tripod with legs that adjust for length, be sure the locking mechanisms all work well, and the legs slide all the way shut , sometimes cheap tripod legs get bent and no longer close up. Possibly not a deal breaker, for you but maybe a price reducer ...

The glass needs inspecting, surface dust on a lens or mirror can probably be easily sorted, but chips or other physical damage , or fungus threads inside a lens assembly (you see that on old camera lenses, so I'd not be surprised to spot it in a refracting telescope ) would send me home empty handed.

The focus device (at the tube where the eyepiece goes ) needs to move in and out smoothly , and you will get the best choice of accessories if it is a 1.25" diameter one, the most common at the moment for proper 'scopes. While looking at that, check if the 'scope has it's original caps on the front and on the eyepiece tube, if not, it's probably not been well cared for.

Vital extra stuff you will need to buy make the thing work, if they are not with the 'scope :

Some kind of aiming device , probably either a black plastic contraption with a battery holder for a coin cell which should , when switched on, produce a red dot you can see when looking along the tube, or something like a small telescope fixed on the main one.  I'd check the battery holder if its a red dot finder (RDF) to see if the cell has leaked. A new finder would cost anything from £20 upward.

Eyepieces : usually telescope packages come with one or two not very good eyepieces, if none are included that will be an extra expense. Cheapest viable eyepieces start  around £25 - £50 each

• Like 2

If it is a reflector, be aware that shining a bright light down at the mirror could make it look terrible. It should give a good clean reflecting surface with ambient background light and be free of obvious scratches. Likewise check the small secondary mirror by looking down the focuser tube, a little dust is fine but no scratches or damage.

All but one of my scopes are second-user and a couple bought as restoration projects but mirrors were good and they perform very well. Depending on the scope you are looking at the seller may even be supplying better eyepieces so worth doing your research on what comes with the standard retail kit and what may have been added. While the Starwatcher and Celestron gear comes as standard with poor MA eyepieces, Bresser I believe has better (plossl). TAL which I have 3 of come with quite good eyepieces but this Russian make is rarer to find and you need to check if they use the modern 1.25-inch eyepieces or the Russian specific 32mm type. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

First thing I'd do would be an online search and see what reviews of the specific model I can find. Some at around that (original) price will be fancy looking toys, others will be basic proper telescopes, reviews will help you sort them. I'd favour well known brands like Celestron , Bresser and Skywatcher .

Then I'd definitely want to see the 'scope rather than have it delivered. Starting ground up, the support might be a dobsonian arrangement or a tripod plus some sort of head, whichever it is needs to be not wobbly, allow free smooth movement in every direction, and stay put when locked. If it is a tripod with legs that adjust for length, be sure the locking mechanisms all work well, and the legs slide all the way shut , sometimes cheap tripod legs get bent and no longer close up. Possibly not a deal breaker, for you but maybe a price reducer ...

The glass needs inspecting, surface dust on a lens or mirror can probably be easily sorted, but chips or other physical damage , or fungus threads inside a lens assembly (you see that on old camera lenses, so I'd not be surprised to spot it in a refracting telescope ) would send me home empty handed.

The focus device (at the tube where the eyepiece goes ) needs to move in and out smoothly , and you will get the best choice of accessories if it is a 1.25" diameter one, the most common at the moment for proper 'scopes. While looking at that, check if the 'scope has it's original caps on the front and on the eyepiece tube, if not, it's probably not been well cared for.

Vital extra stuff you will need to buy make the thing work, if they are not with the 'scope :

Some kind of aiming device , probably either a black plastic contraption with a battery holder for a coin cell which should , when switched on, produce a red dot you can see when looking along the tube, or something like a small telescope fixed on the main one.  I'd check the battery holder if its a red dot finder (RDF) to see if the cell has leaked. A new finder would cost anything from £20 upward.

Eyepieces : usually telescope packages come with one or two not very good eyepieces, if none are included that will be an extra expense. Cheapest viable eyepieces start  around £25 - £50 each

Great info. Many thanks. Some things I didn't think of. I have however been doing as you suggest about researching reviews and prices online and sticking to well know brands.

16 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

If it is a reflector, be aware that shining a bright light down at the mirror could make it look terrible. It should give a good clean reflecting surface with ambient background light and be free of obvious scratches. Likewise check the small secondary mirror by looking down the focuser tube, a little dust is fine but no scratches or damage.

All but one of my scopes are second-user and a couple bought as restoration projects but mirrors were good and they perform very well. Depending on the scope you are looking at the seller may even be supplying better eyepieces so worth doing your research on what comes with the standard retail kit and what may have been added. While the Starwatcher and Celestron gear comes as standard with poor MA eyepieces, Bresser I believe has better (plossl). TAL which I have 3 of come with quite good eyepieces but this Russian make is rarer to find and you need to check if they use the modern 1.25-inch eyepieces or the Russian specific 32mm type. 

Thanks, i'd probably shine a light down at the mirror but that sounds like it should be avoided.

Thanks for the eyepiece info. When you can't go along to a group and speak with people this is a great help.

+1 to much of the advice above.

I would add that buying from someone who knows about scopes, and uses them, is a generally good move.
All too often places like local advert sites, ebay, etc have scopes for sale that may have been bought as part of a house clearance, or a scope bought on a whim.
They may be good items. Equally they may have been stored incorrectly. Lenses may have been incorrectly cleaned, etc. Accessories may be missing (and omitted from the sale description).
If the seller doesn't understand much about the scope, it is may be a risky buy, unless you know what to look for.
By buying from a scope user, you stand the best chance of finding a well maintained model. In my experience, sellers on this site are generally honest about condition or problems. Right down to the expected and unavoidable paint damage on the dovetail bar.

Many years ago I went to buy a scope from someone who took the trouble to explain eyepiece magnification calculations, basic use of the equatorial mount, and more.
This scope had been used, but looked after. I was happy with the purchase.

I once sold a scope on Astrobuysell. The prospective purchaser didn't know me and asked quite a few questions about the mount and what he could expect to see.
It was a basic 100mm short refractor on alt az mount. I answered honestly including describing the restrictions and limitations. He bought the scope.
At the time he told me he was buying for the local scout group. I later found he did know about scopes and was checking me out!

Keep asking the questions.

David.

• Like 3

Excellent advice from Carbon Brush, keep asking questions !

A great advantage you have is that now so many people have a 'phone which can take OK pictures , and can easily upload them to a selling site or add them to a message. If a seller doesn't seem to have much idea about the telescope , and hasn't already thought to provide them, ask for close up photos of any labels on the tube, a shot pointing down the tube at the glass, images of any accessories showing any engraved names/numbers/letters etc. It might save you some fuel and time inspecting the thing in person. If the vendor declined to make that much effort I think it would affect my attitude to them, plus it would suggest to them that you know what you are looking at, (or, at least, know some people here who do !) and can't be easily sold a lemon.

Good luck

Heather

4 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

If I had £200 to spend on a telescope, and had storage space , I'd be snapping this up asap:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian_170637.html

Someone will surely snap this up fast, especially with the current shortage of new stuff.  A 6” Dob is capable of so much, and infinitely more useful than an entry level bells & whistles scope that’s basically a toy in comparison.

23 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Someone will surely snap this up fast, especially with the current shortage of new stuff.  A 6” Dob is capable of so much, and infinitely more useful than an entry level bells & whistles scope that’s basically a toy in comparison.

If I didn't already have my excellent first telescope, the heritage 150 ... 😀

3 minutes ago, John said:

I reckon the 2nd hand market will be awash with gear in the second half of 2021. It will become a buyers market for a while.

I agree, but wonder if the recycling of lockdown buys to free up some cash will start a bit sooner than that ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NGC 1502 said:

Looks like it's already gone. Thanks for pointing me there though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Very Amateur said:

Looks like it's already gone. Thanks for pointing me there though. 

Ah, hard luck, you could watch the thread here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/197-flo-clearance-offers/

or keep refreshing FLO's page here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers.html

they are letting things out a few at a time, you never know what might come up next ...

• Thanks 1

you could consider something like this, not far from you I think
Bresser Messier Telescope R-127 L - Achromatic Reflector 127/1200 with Mount | eBay

even this is likely a nice vintage scope but perhaps not what you'd want
Vintage Pentax Astronomical Telescope, Boxed with Tripod & Mount, Refractor | eBay

Edited by DaveL59

37 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

you could consider something like this, not far from you I think
Bresser Messier Telescope R-127 L - Achromatic Reflector 127/1200 with Mount | eBay

even this is likely a nice vintage scope but perhaps not what you'd want
Vintage Pentax Astronomical Telescope, Boxed with Tripod & Mount, Refractor | eBay

Ive got my eye on the Bresser. It says it needs a new mount weight. I guess that can't be too hard to replace? Depending on what is needed it does look like it might add another £20-40 but it seems worth it unless anyone thinks otherwise? 

Edited by Very Amateur
Spelling