SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Large Pixel OSC recommendations

GyCx

Hi All.

I have been using a QHY8L camera and I want to upgrade, my scope is a Celestron C11 which I nearly always use a F6.3 reducer on. I chose the QHY8L as it has a large Pixel size which suits my C11. 

After many hours of research my  2 options at the moment are the Atik acis 2.4 with a  pixel size of 5.8 um or the QHY10 which is 6.05 um pixel size can anyone suggest  an alternative  cooled OSC camera with a pixel size of 5.8 or greater at around the £1,500 price point?

thanks

I have also looked at the ZWO ASI 071MC-PRO USB 3.0 Cooled Colour Camera but at a pixel size of 4.78 microns maybe a little bit too small for the C11,  I would go for the QHY10 but I have had problems with flats with my QHY8L and I have tried everything. short exposures, over 4 second exposures using dim light. Morning sky, evening sky ,white screen on TV, cotton over the scope, paper over the scope, adu from 9k to 40k, bias subtracted nothing seems to work  my flats always over correct or degrade the image in some other way! So this puts me off the QHY10 

I guess the Atik acis 2.4  is the way to go I  have looked at the Atik 383L + colour but this uses a Kodak sensor which I hear are nosier than the Sony offerings.