Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy

Last night I decided to try finding the Andromeda Galaxy with my Celestron Powerseeker 70EQ with a GSO 1.25" SuperView Eyepiece - 20mm. To find it I used an app called Starwalk and located the Andromeda constellation. Next I followed the Andromeda constellation slowly with my telescope and reached the end where the Andromeda Galaxy is. I think I saw it because I saw a blurry image in the area where it should be at the end of Andromeda and I can't think of any other explanation for a blurry image in the shape of a galaxy in that area of the constellation. My eyepiece doesn't give me any detail except for looking at the Moon. Of course I would love to see more detail but I'm not quite there yet with the right eyepieces.

• Like 1

You won't see much more than a blur, even with a larger scope. Darker skies will help. One of the brightest large DSOs is the Orion Nebula.

Have a read of this to get an idea of what many DSOs will look like.

• Like 2

This is how I find the Andromeda Galaxy...

EDDE34EB-96D1-436E-840B-D9E02E9F8FCC.jpeg.86857aca53b7fc5b6a37897ce7d37c8b.jpeg

First find the Great Square in Pegasus. Then, from the north eastern corner, hop to Mirach. One step from Mirach to Mu Andromedae and another step in the same direction takes you to M31. 

If you’ve got a pair of binoculars, they should easily show a bright oval patch of light. This is just the core of the galaxy. Dark skies are required to see the full extent of it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Starbuddypal said:

I think I saw it because I saw a blurry image in the area where it should be at the end of Andromeda and I can't think of any other explanation for a blurry image in the shape of a galaxy in that area of a galaxy.

At least you can even get to try view it, for me it doesn’t even get high enough for me to see it. 😀

6 hours ago, Spacecake2 said:

At least you can even get to try view it, for me it doesn’t even get high enough for me to see it. 😀

I'll trade you M31 for your Magellanic clouds and omega centauri 😁
(should this be in the For Sale/Swap section?)

• Haha 4

On 22/11/2020 at 02:35, Kyle Allen said:

This is how I find the Andromeda Galaxy...

EDDE34EB-96D1-436E-840B-D9E02E9F8FCC.jpeg.86857aca53b7fc5b6a37897ce7d37c8b.jpeg

First find the Great Square in Pegasus. Then, from the north eastern corner, hop to Mirach. One step from Mirach to Mu Andromedae and another step in the same direction takes you to M31. 

If you’ve got a pair of binoculars, they should easily show a bright oval patch of light. This is just the core of the galaxy. Dark skies are required to see the full extent of it. 

I started at Alphetatz and worked my way up and around to M32, M31. Coolest blurry image ever.

• Like 2