Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trying to view Hinds Crimson Star.

maw lod qan

Past few mornings I've been trying to find this carbon star with no success!

I know I'm in the right area. It shouldn't be a problem with my 8" DOB should it.

This is what I've been using for a reference. 

I will admit sometimes when I go from the viewfinder to the eyepiece my eyes get a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of stars!

You know, the forest for the trees thing!

20201120_145743.jpg

Spotted R Leporis Oct. 25th with the 14x100 Wachter binoculars - easy. In the 8", it should be no problem at all. I've observed it several times with my 8"f/4 as well as with the 80/400 Vixen frac and the 5.1" Heritage. You'll need some patience. The finder chart looks good. Look for a deep orange coloured star, somewhat isolated. Good luck with the hunt (you may add W Orionis, another (6 mag) carbon star and not so far away at the southern tip of Orion's shield, to your list).

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 2

Just for fun, I observed R Leporis just now from indoors in pyjamas with the "Blue Penguin", a Skywatcher Infinitiy 76 /300 (too lazy to dress and go out in the cold). At it's culmination, easy to find even through the double glazed windows facing south.  Best with 30 x mag, the orange colour clearly to perceive. Warm feet, cat company, and a Bitter Lemon, then back to bed.

Get a Penguin,  it's an excellent little Rich Field Telescope (together with a Rigel Quikfinder, and the 15x eyepiece, only available here:https://www.astroshop.de/okulare/skywatcher-okular-15x-fuer-infintity/p,49819

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 2

This thread lead me to go in search of Hind’s crimson star this evening. Found quite easily by star hopping from Rigel in the 9x50 finder. This is a variable star and is quite bright at the moment. The brightness leads to a more orange colour like most other carbon stars. A colour that is not dissimilar to Mars. I’ve seen this star in previous years when it’s much dimmer. It’s at these lower brightness levels that it really lives up to it’s name. A deep red, I’ve often described it as “traffic light” red in the past. It can be easy to overlook like this but once it catches your eye there’s no mistaking it. There’s not many stars that can draw your attention in their own right like this star can. 

• Like 2

Excellent post, Neil, the "traffic light" comparison is spot on. I've seen it only once in the minimum. So we'll have to wait until Lepus reappears in the early morning hours in August /September - and use a larger scope.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 1

What magnitude is it? Last week (partially due to this post) I had a go at the brightest stars in the Astro League Carbon star list with my 16x70 binoculars. W orionis, BL orionis, 19Pisces, Uu Auriga, Herschels Garnet star.

Quite an enjoyable session, they were all a Mars orange colour, so I may need to do some work to find a really red one (probably need a bigger scope too?).

Peter

• Like 1