SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SH2-240 Spaghetti Nebula in Auriga -A mosaic WIP

bdlbug

No idea how I managed to get 5.5hrs of subs on this extremely faint nebula this week.  I rejected about 45mins due to clouds - no surprise.
so this is 4.75hrs made up of 240s subs taken with Samyang 135mm at F2 with ASI1600MM and 7nm Optilong filters
I used Pi4 running Astroberry with KSTARS/EKOS/INDI controlling everything

Integrated with APP
Processed with Pi and PS

I have also included a quick screenshot form the ICEtool used to stitch two images that shows what I am trying to achieve ,  a rather large swath of Auriga as a 4, possibly 6 pane mosaic. I am however thinking is could take decades to acquire the Oiii for this endeavour if the weather doesn't improve
I captured the first pane that include IC405 and IC410  back in October, below is only  the Ha - I did get Oiii and Sii to create a colour image that is on astrobin
get.jpg?insecure
What is really amazing about this structure is its size - It is HUGE, I did an overlay with same FOV I used to capture Orion constellation and this beast covers the area between the Horsehead and orion Nebul with ease.

Hopefully more to report  over the winter months

Bryan

Spaghetti_Nebula_SH2-240_SGL.thumb.png.6e665653e017b6d8cc87c79f0ad1579c.png

image.thumb.png.6b84de3b63d21b3c2f33bfb8dfdb576c.png

• Like 16

Thanks  Mick and Lee, appreciate the feedback and encouragement -

Actually got clear skies tonight - so hopefully as long as it stays that way , I can bring down a few hours of Oiii.
I did overlay the mosaic on Kstars with a moon image - I assume Kstars moon icon is scaled, this is a fair chunk of MW

920061097_AurigaStarChartCdCOverlaywithWIPMosaicinHa.thumb.png.e7afe5034fd11f43fa5fff524f22c9af.png

• Like 1

@carastroI am under Bortle 5 skies, at least I when imaging NNE to SSW , the remainder of the sky around me is quite light polluted to my North is Northampton and the big warehouse park and to my West is more warehouses.  I am using a 7nm Ha filter,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, carastro said:

Well done, I am just starting Sh2-240 from Bortle 8 with a Samyang lens.  What is your Bortle scale so I can get some idea about what to expect.

Carole  

If you have a look at Chuck Ayoubs Spaghetti on Astrobin its around 20 hours and he is in Detroit in an 8 I think. He was using an 80mm at around f5. 

• Like 1