SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SH2-171 SHO

Notty

Due busy life I don't produce much, and when I do it's rarely that great. I know this is still noisy as hell but it's the first time I've persevered over multiple nights trying to acquire proper data, and for the first time I've come up with something I really like, and the crop of the core is the nearest I think I've come to a "proper" astro image . I'm definitely needing more OIII as that seemed to be the weakest of my 3 channels, and some more Ha as L might help the noise some. Lots of data thrown away and ended up with 2.5h Ha, 4.5 OIII 4.5 SII. Processed in Startools.

Hopefully a combination of vastly reduced working (not good!) and ASIair (v.good!) is going to give me more opportunity going forward. Comments and criticism very welcome. Thanks for looking

ASI1600mm+Samyang 135mm

SHO crop L RGB lum method (2).jpg

SHO crop L RGB lum method.jpg

Edited by Notty
SHO not HSO!
  • Like 6

Congrats on a fine first SHO image!

Purple stars are extremely common due to the low emissions in the Ha band of stars. Some people find the purple objectionable (I can personally take them or leave them :)).

If you are one of those people though, there is a simple trick in ST to get rid of the purple;

With Tracking off, launch the Layer module. For Layer mode, choose 'Invert foreground'. Notice how the inverted image now shows those purple stars in green. The Color module has a Cap Green function. Set this to 100%. Launch the Layer module again, once again choosing 'Invert foreground' for the Layer mode. This flips the image back to normal, though this time, without purple stars,

I believe this trick/hack should also work in PixInsight with SCNR.

1336114678_SHOcropLRGBlummethod.thumb.jpg.9ebfd5a4ce350aa31d80be5e141c95f8capgreen.jpg

Edited by jager945
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, jager945 said:

Congrats on a fine first SHO image!

Purple stars are extremely common due to the low emissions in the Ha band of stars. Some people find the purple objectionable (I can personally take them or leave them :)).

If you are one of those people though, there is a simple trick in ST to get rid of the purple;

With Tracking off, launch the Layer module. For Layer mode, choose 'Invert foreground'. Notice how the inverted image now shows those purple stars in green. The Color module has a Cap Green function. Set this to 100%. Launch the Layer module again, once again choosing 'Invert foreground' for the Layer mode. This flips the image back to normal, though this time, without purple stars,

I believe this trick/hack should also work in PixInsight with SCNR.

1336114678_SHOcropLRGBlummethod.thumb.jpg.9ebfd5a4ce350aa31d80be5e141c95f8capgreen.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Ivo! I’m going to try that trick when I’m home on a couple of days, I definitely prefer my stars less purple. Startools continues to amaze me with its capabilities- so thanks again.

andy 

• Like 1

For completeness, here it is now with Ivo's fantastic trick for de-purpling the stars, with extra Ha data & OIII from last night. Much happier with the colours now. Total integration time therefore 15hrs: Ha: 4h SII 4h OIII 7h.  Calling it done.

See you all in another year when time/weather align. Thanks for looking and clear skies all.

1574300165_SHO1234Uncropped(4).thumb.jpg.a46071d31a0dc6a2eb5bd0b0356d58e7.jpg

• Like 1