Narrowband

Mars and dust storm - 19th November 2020

dweller25

Here is a sketch I did in poor seeing of Mars with my 4" refractor.

There was a clear gap in the dark terrain between 7 and 8 o'clock on the disk which I believe is where the current dust storm is ?

Mars is shrinking rapidly now and there was a clear phase and darkening on the following side of the disk, by contrast the preceding side was very bright - possible dew/mist or haze.

The south polar cap remains very small and was quite hard to see during this observation due to the poor seeing which varied between AIII and AII.

I used binoviewers - which always give me a better view over cyclops - at magnifications of x179 to x224.

Observation time was 18:05UT, CM of Mars was 114'

Mars_19_11_2020.jpg.9207bfb5170bcd47c3ad5a4ee18bdc67.jpg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 15

Very interesting; this sketch, recently posted images and the recent observers thread. I was actually initially unaware of this phenomena and was able to observe Mars last night for a time but only after 8.00pm, seeing was mediocre, learning later of and reading the thread last night and seeing subsequent sketches, whilst perhaps a bit late for the dust storm, spiced up the observation.

Yep, that is very similar to what I saw, except for me the lower triangular patch appeared a little darker, but then I was using an orange filter. I couldn't see the Southern Polar Cap at all (filter or none), even when I had my DOH ! moment and began looking in the correct area , having  remembered the new mak does not invert the image N/S like the dob I've become accustomed to 🤡

• Like 1

I had an hour or so of Mars last night before the clouds rolled in- wasn’t till about 10-11 though so i think i’d have missed the storm anyway and seeing wasn’t at all good. But very striking was how not-round the disk is now. I guess it’s been a while since last observation which is very frustrating but it’s definitely leaving us fast 😔

Nice sketch and observation Dweller :)

5 minutes ago, markse68 said:

very striking was how not-round the disk is now.

It seems very flat to me rather than lovely and spherical in earlier observations; but I think I remember it being round 🤔.
Going to have to look out for that now.