Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Recommended Posts

Hi every one silly question but Orion looks mega big and low in the sky or is it just me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a look at it last night through patchy clouds and it looks the same to me as it always has :icon_scratch:

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi every one silly question but Orion looks mega big and low in the sky or is it just me 

I think it's just the grandeur at seeing it again! We had really transparent skies last night and it looked almost 3-D with the naked eye, but the massive pine trees to one side blocked it from my observing spot. 

It is somewhat low, especially at my latitude here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was me then lol i had forgotten how grand it is , i want to try and photo the nebula 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a magnificent constellation and packed full of interesting targets :smiley:

Those that have joined this hobby over the Summer period and are yet to explore Orion are in for a treat :thumbright:

Edited by John
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it is bigger, then I will be able to see it around the edges of the tree that blocks it all Winter !!!   <grump...grump....>

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year when i started i did the on line course all about Orion loved it and from my garden its in a great location for me to look at 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, it looks much bigger on the horizon that it does high up in the sky (at least from here in Texas) later in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been knocking around for quite some time now. Every year he returns from his summer recess and there is a little more middle age spread. Too much fine living.

At this rate he'll be needing a 4 star belt eventually... :)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craney said:

I hope it is bigger, then I will be able to see it around the edges of the tree that blocks it all Winter !!!   <grump...grump....>

Orion will stay the same size but trees can me made smaller :wink:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul M said:

He's been knocking around for quite some time now. Every year he returns from his summer recess and there is a little more middle age spread. Too much fine living.

At this rate he'll be needing a 4 star belt eventually... :)

I hadn't even thought of it that way! 

I'll just remember, compared to Orion's 

waist, I'm quite thin at 40"! 😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2020 at 12:01, John said:

It is a magnificent constellation and packed full of interesting targets :smiley:

Those that have joined this hobby over the Summer period and are yet to explore Orion are in for a treat :thumbright:

Indeed. I started properly in the spring, and I've been waiting all year for this.
I'm used to Orion being low in the south around Christmas time, which is inaccessible from my observing location. So it was a pleasant surprise on Wednesday to see it emerging over the south-east, visible for an hour before the cloud rolled in.
I split Mintaka and Rigel, and M42 showed some nice detail with my 6" reflector, aided by an Astronomik UHC. I'm waiting to tackle more doubles in round 2.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2020 at 13:52, Jm1973 said:

Just looked like clouds to me. 😞

Same her from now to march, as mount will be fixed after being out for two weeks, not that you use a scope for the grandeur of Orion just need to see it.

On 20/11/2020 at 14:36, Louis D said:

Agreed, it looks much bigger on the horizon that it does high up in the sky (at least from here in Texas) later in the season.

Just a visual aspect, as things on the horizon have a relevant reference point.

Take a coin distance it so it covers the full moon at moon rise, do it again at midnight same distance for the coin and it's the same, you might need a really small coin though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2020 at 12:04, Craney said:

I hope it is bigger, then I will be able to see it around the edges of the tree that blocks it all Winter !!!   <grump...grump....>

You didn’t hear it from me that there are some excellent tree destroying chemicals available, and black ninja suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicola Hannah Butterfield said:

Just a visual aspect, as things on the horizon have a relevant reference point.

Take a coin distance it so it covers the full moon at moon rise, do it again at midnight same distance for the coin and it's the same, you might need a really small coin though.

Totally aware of all that, but it's still a startling effect when seeing it for the first time of the season on the horizon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2020 at 20:30, John said:

Orion will stay the same size but trees can me made smaller :wink:

If not the trees will make him smaller 🙄.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.