SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion

Neil H

4 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi every one silly question but Orion looks mega big and low in the sky or is it just me 

I think it's just the grandeur at seeing it again! We had really transparent skies last night and it looked almost 3-D with the naked eye, but the massive pine trees to one side blocked it from my observing spot. 

It is somewhat low, especially at my latitude here.

It is a magnificent constellation and packed full of interesting targets :smiley:

Those that have joined this hobby over the Summer period and are yet to explore Orion are in for a treat :thumbright:

Edited by John
  • Like 5

He's been knocking around for quite some time now. Every year he returns from his summer recess and there is a little more middle age spread. Too much fine living.

At this rate he'll be needing a 4 star belt eventually... :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Craney said:

I hope it is bigger, then I will be able to see it around the edges of the tree that blocks it all Winter !!!   <grump...grump....>

Orion will stay the same size but trees can me made smaller :wink:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

He's been knocking around for quite some time now. Every year he returns from his summer recess and there is a little more middle age spread. Too much fine living.

At this rate he'll be needing a 4 star belt eventually... :)

I hadn't even thought of it that way! 

I'll just remember, compared to Orion's 

waist, I'm quite thin at 40"! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 20/11/2020 at 12:01, John said:

It is a magnificent constellation and packed full of interesting targets :smiley:

Those that have joined this hobby over the Summer period and are yet to explore Orion are in for a treat :thumbright:

Indeed. I started properly in the spring, and I've been waiting all year for this.
I'm used to Orion being low in the south around Christmas time, which is inaccessible from my observing location. So it was a pleasant surprise on Wednesday to see it emerging over the south-east, visible for an hour before the cloud rolled in.
I split Mintaka and Rigel, and M42 showed some nice detail with my 6" reflector, aided by an Astronomik UHC. I'm waiting to tackle more doubles in round 2.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2020 at 13:52, Jm1973 said:

Just looked like clouds to me. 😞

Same her from now to march, as mount will be fixed after being out for two weeks, not that you use a scope for the grandeur of Orion just need to see it.

On 20/11/2020 at 14:36, Louis D said:

Agreed, it looks much bigger on the horizon that it does high up in the sky (at least from here in Texas) later in the season.

Just a visual aspect, as things on the horizon have a relevant reference point.

Take a coin distance it so it covers the full moon at moon rise, do it again at midnight same distance for the coin and it's the same, you might need a really small coin though.

• Like 2

On 20/11/2020 at 12:04, Craney said:

I hope it is bigger, then I will be able to see it around the edges of the tree that blocks it all Winter !!!   <grump...grump....>

You didn’t hear it from me that there are some excellent tree destroying chemicals available, and black ninja suits.

2 hours ago, Nicola Hannah Butterfield said:

Just a visual aspect, as things on the horizon have a relevant reference point.

Take a coin distance it so it covers the full moon at moon rise, do it again at midnight same distance for the coin and it's the same, you might need a really small coin though.

Totally aware of all that, but it's still a startling effect when seeing it for the first time of the season on the horizon.

On 20/11/2020 at 05:47, Neil H said:

Hi every one silly question but Orion looks mega big and low in the sky or is it just me 

As noted, there is the "Moon on the horizon" phenomenon. However, in addition, allow me to suggest that the size of the constellation means that the stars in the shoulder are refracted to different angles and the stars in the feet. As an image, the constellation is extended according to optics somewhat different than the solitary image of the Moon near the ground.