Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arecibo

Dave Lloyd

Yes sad news. I went to Puerto Rico several times with work but never managed to get to see the telescope as it was too remote. 

On the bright side a number of new radio telescopes have just or are about to come on line.

ET will just have to wait a little longer for the call.

Regards  Andrew 

• Like 1

Yes, very sad indeed. I remember Carl Sagan speaking from there. 

One of astronomy’s most renowned telescopes — the 305-metre-wide radio telescope at Arecibo, Puerto Rico — is permanently closing. Engineers cannot find a safe way to repair it after two cables supporting the structure suddenly and catastrophically broke, one in August and one in early November.

It is the end of one of the most iconic and scientifically productive telescopes in the history of astronomy — and scientists are mourning its loss.

• Like 1

They're going to upload the 12 Petabytes of data that the telescope has gathered during it's lifetime to the cloud.

That is a lot of data, much of it not fully analysed, so even without the telescope, the project is going to be going on for quite a while yet.

10 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Yhe 305-metre-wide radio telescope at Arecibo, Puerto Rico — is permanently closing. Engineers cannot find a safe way to repair it after two cables supporting the structure suddenly and catastrophically broke, one in August and one in early November.

So is this a case of lost ancient technology then.

2 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Probably the two incidents weakened the whole structure to the extent that it's unable to be repaired due to cost.

Well, yes, to do it safely would cost as much as rebuilding from new, doing anything to try and fix it will risk another cable snap, those things snap with catastrophic force which would easily be fatal, so you don't want to be anywhere near the vicinity if it is at risk of it happening.

I do hope they secure funds to build something even better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gilesco said:

Well, yes, to do it safely would cost as much as rebuilding from new, doing anything to try and fix it will risk another cable snap, those things snap with catastrophic force which would easily be fatal, so you don't want to be anywhere near the vicinity if it is at risk of it happening.

They'll probably be thinking of putting it on the moon if rebuilt, lol. 

15 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Probably the two incidents weakened the whole structure to the extent that it's unable to be repaired due to cost.

It was a joke.

11 minutes ago, gilesco said:

I do understand a little about forces under tension.

I was about to make the same post having read this article. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/11/famed-arecibo-telescope-brink-collapse-will-be-dismantled?fbclid=IwAR1F6P5P7jqRzXf_K1UWys0vQBsF08WOYbRWmnpR1orVtaZbCFtE72Vc8i4

A shame when we lose a great instrument, especially such an exotic one.

Perhaps it could be turned into a jungle skateboard park!

Olly

• 2 weeks later...