SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium Question

I went out briefly this evening, before clouds covered the sky yet again, with the intention of seeing the Double Cluster, (NGC 869 and 884 if I'm using the right nomenclature).  This was around 7:30.

I star hopped down from Cassiopeia (Navi and Ruchbar), and I thought I'd found it.  I drew myself a little sketch of what looked significant, and a right poor attempt it was too, I'll be the first to admit.  The intention was that i'd come back inside and check on Stellarium to see if it looked right.  The trouble is, that Stellarium shows the sky as seen with the naked eye of course .  This is a double whammy, rubbish sketch, back to front and upside down.  :)

Is there a feature in Stellarium that would let me flip the image so that I see what would be visible through the eye piece? 

I have looked at some of the controls of that program, but users will know how many there are and I don't even know what it would be called if there was such a thing or where it would live.  If I'm being a little bit lazy asking this, sorry.

Yes - ctrl-shift-H reverses the chart horizontally and ctrl-shift-V does it vertically. You need to do both for a newtonian view, just the horizontal for the refractor / mak-cass / SCT view (assuming normal diagonal is being used).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stellarium ( the downloaded program, I've not used the online version much, and doubt it has this facility anyway) has a dead handy feature , the oculars plugin. You can set your telescope focal length and the image orientation (reversed l/r or up/down or not)  to match whatever telescope you have , and add the parameters of your eyepieces , barlows and camera . The plugin provides quite a lot of standard ones, but you can easily delete any you don't need.

Then you can select any object, click the oculars tool bar, and stellarium will let you cycle through the telescope/s and other kit you have entered , showing you a circle corresponding to your chosen combination of kit's view. It can show you telrad circles too . Combined with the night mode I find this very helpful to have outside with me if I'm searching for something a bit elusive.

Here's a link to the relevant wiki page :

http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Oculars_plugin

Heather

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 18/11/2020 at 21:59, John said:

Yes - ctrl-shift-H reverses the chart horizontally and ctrl-shift-V does it vertically. You need to do both for a newtonian view, just the horizontal for the refractor / mak-cass / SCT view (assuming normal diagonal is being used).

This works for the downloaded version but not the online version.  Any idea how to flip the view on the web version?