Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is the naming of the planets code?

Galileo Ghost

I considered that including the Sun, SMVEMJUNP and also of course I included Pluto because if it is code it depending on for how long pluto was considered a planet. 

I recognize that Earth is a word from middle english meaning home and is the only planet not named after a Greek or Roman god. 

So the question is, if it is code is it code for the people or some group of astronomers or any other institution. 

So Man Versus Earth May Justice Unite New People

So Much Violence Every Man Just Stop Unite Now People

Symbiosis Memory Verse Equality Mammals just should unite now people

So man versus Earth May Justice Shine Under New People

Some man versus Earth May judge (and) serve under no people

Strength memory verse equality marsupials Just Nurture Planet

Of course it may be code in other languages like italian or latin. I'd like to know if anyone else has any comments or if this has ever been discussed on any forums or in classrooms. 

Good health and Respect to you. 

Edited by Galileo Ghost
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, ash73 said:

The correct mnemonic is MVEMCJSUNPE, because there are of course 11 planets!

Dwarf rabbits are still rabbits.

Which for some reason reminds me that I  once set a class of 8 year olds the task of writing their own mnemonic for the order of colours of the spectrum .

My favourite (it must be a good  mnemonic, 'cos I remember it after 30 years ) was :

'Rabbits of yesterday gave back inky vests.'

Not sure if that conceals a message about the illuminati though ...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Which for some reason reminds me that I  once set a class of 8 year olds the task of writing their own mnemonic for the order of colours of the spectrum .

My favourite (it must be a good  mnemonic, 'cos I remember it after 30 years ) was :

'Rabbits of yesterday gave back inky vests.'

Not sure if that conceals a message about the illuminati though ...

Rainbows only yield gold bounty in visions :)

James

• Like 1

Many volcanoes erupt mulberry jam sandwiches under normal pressure. (Won't work now of course).

Wow, oh be a fine girl, kiss me right now sweetie (a bit longer than Andrew's - have the other spectral classes been dropped?)

I think both of these were in Patrick Moore's books - can anyone please confirm?

Captain! All de Rigging Seems Properly Polished using Cast-off BeetleJuice- All the major stars in the winter hexagon: Capella, Aldebaran, Rigel, Sirius, Procyon, Pollux, Castor, Betelgeuse.

Dra Sid An Syn or DSAS - the period of time the moon revolves around the earth: Draconic, Sidereal, Anomalistic and Synodic. (in increasing order).

And my all time favourite one that I think was already mentioned: Oh, Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me, for the spectral sequences (type O, B, A, F, G, K, M stars).

2 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

Many volcanoes erupt mulberry jam sandwiches under normal pressure. (Won't work now of course).

Wow, oh be a fine girl, kiss me right now sweetie (a bit longer than Andrew's - have the other spectral classes been dropped?)

I think both of these were in Patrick Moore's books - can anyone please confirm?

I believe WOHBAFGKMRNS is the full version, but usually W, R, N and S types aren't that common, so those aren't used that frequently. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Astrid said:

I believe WOHBAFGKMRNS is the full version, but usually W, R, N and S types aren't that common, so those aren't used that frequently. 

Ok so Stellar Spectral Classification by Gray and Corbally has the following classes

O, B, A, F, G, K, M, L, T and WR as the main classes.

There are subclasses for S and Carbon stars. There is also OB which is not synonymous with O and B but I have never fully understood it. I have never come across W or H. Maybe W is for white dwarfs but are they stars? 

In addition there are the luminosity  classes II, III, IV, V which are the big lumps on the H-R diagram. Then lots of extra bits for emission stars e, etc  etc.

Normal star are generally taken as OBAFGKM in classes II to V.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Thanks 2

I too got thinking about spectral classes but the mneonic I remember is an extended one of: Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now Sweetheart.

It is probably the only mnemonic I have ever remembered on any subject, EVER!

Never needed a mnemonic for the planets. I spent too much time daydreaming round the Solar System to ever lose my way! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I too got thinking about spectral classes but the mneonic I remember is an extended one of: Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now Sweetheart.

It is probably the only mnemonic I have ever remembered on any subject, EVER!

Never needed a mnemonic for the planets. I spent too much time daydreaming round the Solar System to ever lose my way! 

N is sometimes used for carbon stars. Regards Andrew 

• Like 1