Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

E.Bay Scam: Beware

John

This is a scam listing. This scope is genuinely being sold by APM Telescopes in Germany and on E.Bay at 10x this starting price. This advert has cut and pasted the APM photos and description. Just in case anyone was tempted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-Nikon-100-MM-For-1200-MM-Ed-Apochromatic-Lens-Refractor-Telescoping/174523109853?hash=item28a26351dd:g:2E0AAOSwEvJftDtk

I have reported it to E.Bay.

Edited by John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, johninderby said:

Yes it’s gone now thanks to John. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Anyone remember this thread. 🤔

Yep, remember that well John..shame the picture of the scope is no longer there but good on John for spotting the scam👍.

Mikes' photo above of that lovely trio of apos really shows well the difference in size of the Vixen vs the Taks..both 100mm class scopes (ok, the Vixen has 2mm more, actually 4% more light grasp!), and a bit longer at F9, but it's the oversized tube that gives the Vixen more "presence" IMHO.. I found my Vixen ED103s was the same, with a 114mm diameter tube (although at F795mm closer to the Tak FC's in length). 

Interestingly, the older Tak FS range had oversized tubes too - the legendary FS102 also had a 114mm tube, and my FS128's tube is c 140mm 🙂

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1

The scope is still listed for sale on the APM website. Currently at 7,990 Euros.

I've often looked at the APM site so as soon as I saw the ad on e.bay I recognised the scope. It's not as if there are many of them about !

I'm pleased that e.bay acted quickly. That does not always happen.

Edited by John

I've reported a 2nd one as well.

There will be others though. From past patterns I'd expect this to crop up frequently for a while as the scammers work through their list of hacked e.bay accounts.

This, by the way is a genuine advert from APM Telescopes in Germany who are actually offering this scope for sale on their website and on e.bay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-100-MM-For-1200-MM-Ed-Apochromatic-Lens-Refractor-Telescoping/131977350869?hash=item1eba768ed5:g:AVcAAOSwCNJfLg6Z

Edited by John

So, the "Spam Scope" vaporware Nikon has "sold" for £1068...

An SGL acquaintance of mine PM'd me yesterday morning to ask about this scope as he was tempted, but concerned that it was "too good to be true" - which of course it was: I was literally just going out but I whizzed back a reply saying "DO NOT bid, it's a scam!!", and I sent him a link to this thread (thanks again, John👍👏).

He did reply to me later yesterday to say he'd been exchanging eBay messages with the seller, and he had found the messages to be odd, and  written by someone whose first language isn't English..for example, in answer to a question regarding the starting bid price of £888, the reply was "Hi again ****, I think 4600 it is a good price" 

So very definitely a scam. Thankfully my friend didn't bid, but it seems that there were 6 bids from 3 bidders. Let's hope that if the eventual "winner" ends up out of pocket, they will be fully reimbursed by eBay!

Caveat Emptor!!

Dave

• Like 1